Tiger Stripe ball cap

USCapturephotos

USCapturephotos

Hey guys. Here is my new TS ball cap got in trade from a friend found at the flea market. What type is TS is this? Thanks!

Paul

post-100030-0-85723000-1446989880.jpg

Looks like Japanese cloth.....some refer to it as John Wayne (according to Johnson's book)

USCapturephotos

Hey thanks fellas. I'm not a tiger stripe collector but do dabble a little in Vietnam headgear so was pretty pleased.

Paul

It's rare to find these as baseball caps....it does have some soiling, which can detract from the value, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get multiple offers.

USCapturephotos

Yeah. I had to sell the only other TS cap I owned to pay some of my kids school bills so am really excited to have found this one. This one is not idd like my other one but I still really like it. Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Paul

Hi Paul,

nice cap!

It's a Vietnamese Marine Pattern (1966-1968).

Cotton twill light-weight or middle-weight fabric.

Here you are:

post-6590-0-95169900-1447106041.jpg

post-6590-0-50317600-1447106056.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Gimp. That is really really interesting. I loved how you were able to match up the pattern with the same pattern in the jacket. I find the whole study of TS fascinating and can see how collectors get hooked into studying it. Really, thanks for your input. Funny because the other TS cap I had was the USMC pattern cap and was used by a Marine adviser in '66. It would have been a great piece to display with this one now but as I mentioned, I had to sell to another member on the forum. It went to a good home though.

Paul

So was that pattern typically used from 66-68 or what changed with the S. Vietnamese Marines post 68 with their uniforms?

Hi Paul,

this first VNMC pattern was produced from 1959 until 1968.

1959-1966 was printed on middle-weight "poplin" fabric (same fabric like the ARVN pink windproof)

1966-1968 was printed on light- or middle-weight cotton twill fabric

The second VNMC (seawave) pattern was produced from 1968 until 1973.

The third VNMC (Thai Large) pattern was produced from 1973 until 1975.

The cut change minimal.

Hope this helps

post-6590-0-26331300-1447181527.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Gimp. Yes. It really helps. There is so much to learn about this stuff but I am really enjoying it and appreciate your efforts. Is the Johnson reference book on Schiffer worth the money or is there a better reference guide out there as I am thinking of looking into TS patterns a little more.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Actually looking more closely at what you posted above....I'm pretty sure the other USMC style 8 point TS cap I owned was done with the first pattern which totally makes sense as the Marine was an adviser with the S. Vietnamese Marines in 65.

Paul

P your are welcome.

I'm not an advocate for the Johnson book, but it give you an overview of all the common tiger patterns.

The book helps me a lot. Up to you how serious you want to collect tigers?

May you safed pictures of the other tiger cap?