Mechanic's Tool Chest for Storage

skautdog

Today, 10:47 AM

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed. I'm considering purchasing an upright mechanic's metal tool chest with multiple various sized sliding drawers. I plan to store items I don't have room for in my gun safe such as some bayonets/scabbards, knives, patches, metal insignia, belts, etc. I "think" I'd need to place rubber pads on top of drawer bottoms and possibly add ph neutral "dividing" paper on top of that. I'll store the chest in my basement which has a dehumidifier. Humidity is kept at 45-50%.

ANY ideas/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ken

Shakethetrees

I'd. be reluctant to use the chest. There could be residual chemicals that will leech out over time and cause damage. Rubber pads should not be an option either. They contain sulphur which will damage finishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Those chests, especially the better made ones, will work perfectly well for very long-term storage, especially of artifacts or specimens which are in and of themselves essentially neutral pH.

Textiles, paper, wood, film and other such material might want an acid free barrier placed between items and the drawer surfaces, possibly.

I very much agree about usage of anything rubber (or foam, for that matter) as a barrier or padding... not a good choice.

Sustaining a stable climatological environment, as is described above, will be of great value.