"Aftermath" - ETO Artwork

GMPETE

I love soldier/combat art but never see any on the hoof, so when I ran into this moody little drawing recently for cheap, I couldn't leave it. Soldier standing in the rain at the foot of a grave like his own shadow, that he looks like he's about to fall into. Needed to come out of the old frame and acid mattes, and when I got it open I found what I was hoping for- the name of the artist with date and inscription. It reads as follows:

'Normandie, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland, Central Europe; - "Aftermath!" JAN '45' John R. Nobriga

I did a little looking and found a John R. Nobriga, service # 32992674, who was from near where the drawing originated. His profession was listed as draftsman so this has to be him. I did not find any info on what unit he was with but am still looking. ( If anybody has any ideas short of initiating an NARA search I would appreciate the help). I thought the spelling of 'Normandie' was curious and got to thinking that maybe it is a reference to the SS Normandie ocean liner which did service as a troopship during the war, rather than D-Day....

Anyway, thought I would share this with everybody.

post-20738-0-29428400-1446872575.jpg

post-20738-0-30606200-1446872652.jpg

Great drawing! Normandie is how they spell it in France.

Thanks- I read up on the SS Normandie since I posted and it burned before the troopship conversion was complete, so it looks like you are correct; it is 'Normandie' the place rather than the French ocean liner. I wonder if Nobriga made the landing.....

He attended Pratt in 1949 and studied Advertising Design. I even found his photo:

That is great! Thanks for this- Nice to put a face to the name. Still hoping to find his wartime unit info. No luck so far.