Help with PO2 Rating

gap

I have a PO2 Storekeeper rating with left shoulder facing leaning eagle with blue wool stripes on a khaki cotton background. need help dating it.

Picture would help, but I have seen white cotton discolor to the extent that it looks khaki. My guess is it is a pre WWII white rate.

Gap ? why the mystery ? A pic will help period. And, I have a rate in my collection that I was convinced was kahki but is now blazing white. You post pictures why the mystery on this one. The leaning eagle for the most part was gone well before WW2, a pic please or there is no sense in argument.

If really khaki, my guess is this rate was made in the transitional period of 1941, when the slanted crow was changed to being staight-up and the use of the khaki uniform in the Naval Services (including USCG) was authorized for more than aviators.

However,it may not actually be khaki. The more I look at it, the more it looks like it could be dirty white (especially the reverse.) And that would make more sense, because I don't think the khaki shore establishment uniforms were in use that early.

This is a pre 1940 white crow. It started life as a SK 1/c, and has been cut down to make an SK 2/c. It has just changed color over the years

Picture would help, but I have seen white cotton discolor to the extent that it looks khaki. My guess is it is a pre WWII white rate.

Having seen the photo, I'm sticking with my earlier guess that it is a discolored white rate.

I don't think so guys, in hand it does not appear to have yellowed. The color is too uniform.

Also, it is significantly smaller than a typical WW2 rate, more than you would expect from "shrinkage" (Reminds me of a Seinfeld line!)

The reverse appears to have different shades of color - really looks like discolored white. Do you have a WW2 khaki CPO chevron you could photo alongside of this one (and then post)? Also doing it in outside natural light would help.

I agree it was originally a white badge. It's surprising what colors old bleached cotton can turn. Side-by-side with WW2 khaki it would probably be more obvious. Dark blue stripes on khaki for PO1/2/3 is definitely a WW2 thing, unlikely for one with a left-facing crow at that point.

Justin B.

I am leaning towards discolored but there are examples of white undress uniforms being dyed/stained a khaki/tan color for landing parties prior to WWII so it could maybe be a patch from one of those maybe...