M-1943 field jacket with added early type zipper

korea drab

A few weeks ago i found this nice jacket on ebay. Without looking in deep at the pictures i believed it was another M-1951 because of the zipper.

The starting bid price was the ending one 19,90. As i was about to leave on a bike trip for few days my intention was to bid and leave!!!! But doing all the preps forgot it and was sold.......to happyhooligan(for sure a happy one!)

Look at the pictures! If this is a real M-1943 in 44L i think i will kill myself.They run at least 15 times that price.

Beside that the interesting feature is that this could be done by QM as an improv or privately? maybe an officer?

Indeed i lost a magnificent jacket this time.

Here the pics and ideas are wellcome to hear.

post-1820-1218977938.jpg

post-1820-1218977991.jpg

post-1820-1218978016.jpg

post-1820-1218978084.jpg

post-1820-1218978630.jpg

Man, now THAT is cool! It is anybody's guess as to when this zipper was added; looks to be a stout sleeping bag zipper...?

Greg Robinson

The lighter color shade of the inside lining suggests a 1943-1944 production M1943 jacket. Hard to say when the zipper was added but I'd guess it was done after the M1951's were in service. Probably belonged to somebody who preferred the way the M1943's looked but liked the added warmth provided by a zipper closure. It appears to have been professionally done.

Hi,

Colonel Bowen, 187th RCT CO, worn a such zip modified field jacket during the combat jump on Sukchon-Sunchon, 20 october 1950. The few pictures I could see from him during Rakasans first tour in Korea, show him with this jacket!

I'll try to post a pic later

Cheers

Valery

craig_pickrall

Greg and Valery that is interesting info. My first thought was post M51 production too but then I could not see any sign of the added buttons for the liner. I figured the mod was made before the liner was available. That would go along with Valery's info on use by the 187TH. I agree with "flage that it was probably a sleeping bag zipper.

Greg Robinson
Greg and Valery that is interesting info. My first thought was post M51 production too but then I could not see any sign of the added buttons for the liner. I figured the mod was made before the liner was available. That would go along with Valery's info on use by the 187TH. I agree with "flage that it was probably a sleeping bag zipper.

I agree that it was done during the Korean War period. But I don't place any significance on the lack of liner buttons. May have been a personal choice to leave them off. Maybe he had something else he chose to wear under the jacket such as the pile field jacket liner that originally was worn with the M1943 and was just as warm as the M1950/M1951 wool frieze liners.

Man, now THAT is cool! It is anybody's guess as to when this zipper was added; looks to be a stout sleeping bag zipper...?

I am trying to contact the winning bidder to ask him for better pictures!

How can you determine the sleeping bag zipper? This looks excactly as my M-1947 parka.Would like to know more about that.

Here a picture of my zipper.

post-1820-1219013388.jpg

Here the link to the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300247402624

Greg Robinson
I am trying to contact the winning bidder to ask him for better pictures!

How can you determine the sleeping bag zipper? This looks excactly as my M-1947 parka.Would like to know more about that.

Here a picture of my zipper.

Here the link to the auction

In my opinion, not a zipper from an M1949 sleeping bag. Zipper isn't heavy duty enough. I think it's a zipper made for a jacket, possibly civilian.

happy hooligan
In my opinion, not a zipper from an M1949 sleeping bag. Zipper isn't heavy duty enough. I think it's a zipper made for a jacket, possibly civilian.

Well I'm the guy who bought this jacket...

here's some pics, sorry my camera's macro isn't the best...

DSC07373.jpg

DSC07375.jpg

DSC07376.jpg

DSC07378.jpg

DSC07380.jpg

DSC07384.jpg

HH

Thanks for posting those pictures.

That jacket is a real hammer.The sewing looks very well done.And congrats on the jacket(i forgot to bid on it!).

Is there a stamping or tag on the sleeve area? Maybe a number written or a name?

Karl

happy hooligan
HH

Thanks for posting those pictures.

That jacket is a real hammer.The sewing looks very well done.And congrats on the jacket(i forgot to bid on it!).

Is there a stamping or tag on the sleeve area? Maybe a number written or a name?

Karl

I'll check...

I like how they sewed around the buttons...