8th AAF/RCAF, 356th FS POW Group

Sparty On

doinworkinvans

What a small world! That is crazy to have to have those 2 items brought back together!

And as for the video's - it sure looks like him. That's a good eye if indeed it is.

And not to derail here, but I didn't ESPN's Jay Bilas was a POW :) just kidding of course but it's uncanny - even the same hair line!

post-104736-0-23249300-1446825039.jpg

bilas.jpg

Wow....that is one top notch group. I think it's awesome you got the nose art pannel made. That's a really cool piece to display w a killer grouping. Congrats!!

That was the guy in the video I thought was Rann as well. "Jay Bilas" is Colonel Stark lol.

Really nice POW mail Kurt. Thanks for sharing!

I noticed that. Another forum member tipped me off to them last week I tried getting a few more pieces to add to the group but someone had a sniping program going. All of these items were sold by the same person running the estate sale four months ago. But none of these items were at the estate sale. If memory serves me correct he told me these items were sold before the sale started. It would have been nice to get some more pieces but overall I think I have the centerpiece of it all.

I noticed that. Another forum member tipped me off to them last week I tried getting a few more pieces to add to the group but someone had a sniping program going. All of these items were sold by the same person running the estate sale four months ago. But none of these items were at the estate sale. If memory serves me correct he told me these items were sold before the sale started. It would have been nice to get some more pieces but overall I think I have the centerpiece of it all.

You certainly have a great group that stands by itself.

Question - does the diary cover any of his wartime service?

Rob

I really hate to see great groups like this broke up. I found the listings you were referring to. The RCAF logbook with his RCAF service as well as his AAF combat and aerial victories entered is a fantastic piece that really should be with your items. There were a couple other items that would have been nice to reunite as well. Who knows, maybe someday you will get a shot at them. I've been in the same situation a couple times over the years and ended up reuniting items separated.

JD

Its too bad you were not able to keep it all together. It doesnt surprise me the log went so high. Logbooks have really jumped in price the past 2-3 years.

His RCAF dogtags went cheap at $45.

Kurt

I do have a binder full of his combat reports that I bought at the sale. Its a little buried under the visors and bring backs in the first few photos of this thread. Here are a couple examples of what's present.

post-104736-0-81613100-1447269083.jpg

post-104736-0-44074000-1447269095.jpg

Its too bad you were not able to keep it all together. It doesnt surprise me the log went so high. Logbooks have really jumped in price the past 2-3 years.

His RCAF dogtags went cheap at $45.

Kurt

I was contacted by the individual who purchased the dog tags. There may be a possibility in the future to add those back to the group. I was a day late in finding those pieces.

Beautiful grouping Mike! I'm a big fan of any Eagle Squadron stuff and being a Canadian of course I love all RCAF pieces! When I started in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets in 1976 we wore the same blue wool serge uniforms that the WWII RCAF pilots and crew wore, it was as itchy as hell but we wore it with pride because of the proud history behind it.

What an amazing grouping, truly the centrepiece of any military aviation collection!

Thanks for sharing and being the custodian of such a rare set!

Rick

• 5 years later...