Help with a Vietnam HM4 Fleet Marine Corpsman Rate

herkchief

I have been asked by the family to build a shadow box for their father who was a Navy Corpsman with the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam. I am not sure what would be the correct rate (HM4) that he would have worn, also besides the rate would he have worn any other special badges or insignia ? I wanted to make sure that I get everything correct. I have a copy of his 214, so I have the correct medals. Thanks for any help.

I have been asked by the family to build a shadow box for their father who was a Navy Corpsman with the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam. I am not sure what would be the correct rate (HM4) that he would have worn, also besides the rate would he have worn any other special badges or insignia ? I wanted to make sure that I get everything correct. I have a copy of his 214, so I have the correct medals. Thanks for any help.

. Never heard of HM4. Does your documentation say HM, E-4? If so, that would make him an HM3.

It would be the Hospital Mate insignia, but there were no HM4, only these

HM3 PO3= E4

HM2 PO2= E5

HM1 PO1= E6

HMC CPO= E7

HMCS SCPO= E8

HMCM MCPO= E9

PO stands for Petty Officer, CPO=Chief Petty Officer, SCPO=Senior Chief Petty Officer, MCPO Master Chief Petty Officer.

On this edit see sigsaye's reply, he must of been a E-4, IE a Petty Officer 3rd Class

HM3 PO3= E4

HM2 PO2= E5

HM1 PO1= E6

HMC CPO= E7

HMCS SCPO= E8

HMCM MCPO= E9

PO stands for Petty Officer, CPO=Chief Petty Officer, SCPO=Senior Chief Petty Officer, MCPO Master Chief Petty Officer.

No "Hospital Mate". HM= "Hospital Corpsman"

On this edit see sigsaye's reply, he must of been a E-4, IE a Petty Officer 3rd Class

HM3 PO3= E4

HM2 PO2= E5

HM1 PO1= E6

HMC CPO= E7

HMCS SCPO= E8

HMCM MCPO= E9

No "Hospital Mate". HM= "Hospital Corpsman"

Right Steve,at first I was going to say Loblolly Boy :D

When he served with the Marines he could have elected to Marine service uniforms (but not the dress blues), so it might be nice to include an HM3 rating in the green color worn on Marine uniforms or the khaki ones as worn on this uniform:

hm3khaki.jpg

Thanks for the information, I appreciate the help. His DD-214 does say HM3 /E-4. I am aUS Air Force vet, and completely lost with the navy side of the house. Would anyone have a Navy and Marine dress green HM3 rate they would be willing to sell?