My M4 Aerial

hermione

The maker mark is a little difficult to read, but I believe it says Imperial rather than Aerial. It certainly looks like an Imperial handle with the black spacers. Regardless, nice bayonet!

The maker mark is a little difficult to read, but I believe it says Imperial rather than Aerial. It certainly looks like an Imperial handle with the black spacers. Regardless, nice bayonet!

Hi gents,

Hi Tarheeltim,

You han an eagle eye, I use a magnifying glass, and you are right : Imperial :love:

Thank you for your contribution.

Guys I have an Aerial M4 and this also has the stamped S on the bayonet attachment....what does this S signify please ?

regards

Lloyd

Guys I have an Aerial M4 and this also has the stamped S on the bayonet attachment....what does this S signify please ?

regards

Lloyd

Not an S, an intertwined SP, the logo of Standard Products of Port Clinton, OH who made the latch plates for most of the M4s.

post-66-0-76817100-1446763289.jpg

Lloyd- Not all manufacturers used Standard Products pommels. Imperial has some w/ an "H" for Hemphill stamped in a shield. Some have no marks. SKIP

During WW2 the great bulk of M4s used Standard Products latch plates. Imperial used some Hemphill ones, Utica made their own for quite awhile, and these are marked with a deep dot at the 6 o'clock position. TMN, Conetta and Bren-Dan also used dotted plates, but they are plastic handled from the 50s and 60s.

Gary thank you...my UTICA M4 is marked with a deep dot punch mark at 7 o clock and also one right by the peen over L/H side....this Utica I think is a converted M3 as it has a leather grooved handle then up to the bayonet attachment is what looks like a shaped Bakelite or heavy resin darker spacer ?

I really need to start sending in photos of some of my knives like my converted M1 bayonet into a fighting knife etc..

regards

Lloyd

Lloyd- Are you sure your Utica M4 has a spacer? Utica never used spacers in M3s, or M4s. At least none that I've seen or heard of. Please send us a picture if you can. Curious! SKIP