Unknown embroidered 8th AF light blue color SSI?

Alex Boban

Good evening,

I just picked up this 8th AF patch with a light blue color base. I have never seen this color before.

It is fully embroidered, cut edge and white back. It feels a little lighter and the diameter is a little smaller than the usual US-made 8th AF SSI.

Can somebody shed some light on this patch?

It was part of a small grouping including common WWII Air Corps and cadet shoulder patches.

Thank you for your time.

post-157805-0-38511300-1446616117.jpg

post-157805-0-62741400-1446616118.jpg

post-157805-0-38391400-1446616119.jpg

Its a known variation of the 8th Airforce.The one shown is slightly faded but they made a full embroidered English made version of the 8th with a pale blue background.Nice score Scotty

WorldWarPatches

Its a known variation of the 8th Airforce.The one shown is slightly faded but they made a full embroidered English made version of the 8th with a pale blue background.Nice score Scotty

That statement is $$ in the bank

30+ years of GI collecting...and with a sizable AAF sub-collection...but I've never encountered a patch like that one in all that time!

30+ years of GI collecting...and with a sizable AAF sub-collection...but I've never encountered a patch like that one in all that time!

There are many British made variations because of the long period the unit was there. I have two fully-machine embroidered ones, both next to the US made variation (the latter = above middle). The one in the upper left corner is identical to the one in post #1.

To compare with the yellow colored thread that was used to embroider the "8" and wings, typical for those British made ones, I've also added two partial embroidered patches on felt and one printed on canvas (below - all of British manufacture). The US made patch has the usual golden-orange thread, and has a far more bright blue background.

H.

post-4811-0-52662000-1446742207.jpg

Yes...being British I have most variants as they do turn up here...but strangely have never encountered the pale blue one!

Yes...being British I have most variants as they do turn up here...but strangely have never encountered the pale blue one!

I have to say that I have only seen a few like these. Even the one in the upper right corner is the only one I've seen so far. Very likely, not made made in large quantities comparing to the British made felt ones, at the time.

Collecting... it never ends hey ;-)

H.

I have to say that I have only seen a few like these. Even the one in the upper right corner is the only one I've seen so far. Very likely, not made made in large quantities comparing to the British made felt ones, at the time.

Collecting... it never ends hey ;-)

H.

"Never say never"....as the saying goes! ;)

PS. Just seen yet another variant here...a "stubby" 8th on what looks like a blue elastique type backing!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/253591-8th-aafrcaf-356th-fs-pow-group/

PS. Just seen yet another variant here...a "stubby" 8th on what looks like a blue elastique type backing!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/253591-8th-aafrcaf-356th-fs-pow-group/

And a very nice one too... Seeing this kind of base material and the embroidery, it looks like it was made in the US by hand, with a British made 'stubby' 8th as the example...

H.