Pretty scarce... Female Field Grade WW2 USMC dress covers

Hessian

These are the only two of these I've ever seen other than in pictures. I was pretty happy to pick them up. The bullion "eggs" are directly embroidered to the cloth visors. Both are made by Ambrose, New York.

post-4618-0-70922800-1446610514.jpg

There were only about 820 officers in the Marine Corps Women's Reserve in WWII, there certainly were not many of these.

Does this have label info that dates it to the war?

Nice covers.I have the blue cover without the bullion.It is dated in the seventies.The rope cord on the enlisted and the officers visors were both white in WW2.

These are very nice but I do not believe these are WWII vintage.

Women Marines did not receive a dress blue uniform until 1952. Before that, they had a spruce green cover with a white tassel and forest green cover with a red tassel.

Also, I have not seen any pictures of USMCWR officers in WWII with the "eggs" on the cover.

Can you please post pictures of the inside and top of the covers?

...Kat

These are very nice but I do not believe these are WWII vintage.

Women Marines did not receive a dress blue uniform until 1952. Before that, they had a spruce green cover with a white tassel and forest green cover with a red tassel.

Also, I have not seen any pictures of USMCWR officers in WWII with the "eggs" on the cover.

Can you please post pictures of the inside of the covers?

...Kat

Interesting points. The blue one appears to be made of a wool blend which would indicate it's close to WW2 or early 1950s. The green one was phased out at some point, likely with the seersucker uniform... Just a guess. I would be interested to see the actual uniform regs for WW2 or the early 1950s.

I've had and sold a dozen named WW2 USMCWR uniform groups including the purses (with summer green covers), and the caps (or "covers' in Marien parlance). But those were all enlisted.

Here are a few more pics as requested.

post-4618-0-20132000-1446689863.jpg

Blue cover inside made by Ambrose of NY. Showing use as evidenced by the makeup.

Green was made my Bonk also of NY. First I've seen of this particular tailor.

post-4618-0-33854900-1446690431.jpg

post-4618-0-28973700-1446690435.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures.

This is one reference regarding the women Marine uniforms.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/A%20History%20of%20the%20Women%20Marines%201946-1977%20PCN%2019000309400_4.pdf

On page 7 of the document which is page 157 of the book, it discusses the Mainbocher wardrobe changes that took place 1950-52. At the bottom of page 7 it states “Women Marines did not have a dress blue uniform until 1952. During WWII and the seven years following, officers turned the winter service uniform into a dress uniform by exchanging the khaki shirt for one of white and the khaki necktie for one of forest green.”

On page 14 of the document which is page 164 of the book, it discusses an officer’s dress white uniform which I believe is your other cover. “Mainbocher designed a white uniform at the time he did the new wardrobe in 1952. Distribution was delayed until 1958 due to difficulty in obtaining a suitable wash-and-wear fabric that would remain white. The uniform was styled after the winter service uniform, and worn with the same white short-sleeved Dacron shirt prescribed for the dress blues. A bright blue-green cap, ascot shaped tie and white pumps completed the outfit."

Very cool, thanks for the additional info and link Kat.

Any time! They are very nice covers and a great find! :)

I did a search on the word "Bonk" and found a Sam Bonk Company in Bronx, NY that manufactured military uniforms. I had never heard of that manufacturer either.

...Kat

I moved this to the women's section so others can see these great covers. I love seeing and learning about women's items. :)

Congrats again and thanks so much for posting these...Kat

Hessian,

I just looked closer at the EGAs on these. The one on the green cover looks very nice! Do either of them have makers marks on the back?

...Kat