Vet Portrait, Flea Market gift

mikes militaria

mikes militaria

post-154336-0-63175200-1446595782.jpg

I was looking through the local flea market and I saw this portrait. It's a copy not an original painting, 10"x12". I picked it up and was looking at it while talking to the vendor. He gave it to me. He said no one was interested and it would probably get messed if he kept it.

My picture doesn't do it much justice but I'd thought I share it anyway. Best I can tell he's wearing a 7th Division SSI. Although he has two bars on his Victory medal, many things could account for that. Mexican Service ribbon on the left.

I sit and look at it sometimes and think of all the anonymous vets that lived and died throughout the years. The ones that made it back and what their lives were like after their service.

I really like it and hope some of you might enjoy it.

This is a great print really shows a deeper side to most men who served in the military. For most soldier, they got home the uniform went into the nearest closest and was forgotten but they always remember there service, it is the unspoken words that show you have greatly if affected these men.

That's a pretty famous portrait of WWI veteran Ralph Cline by Andrew Wyeth (he's best known for the painting "Christina's World" showing the young lady laying in a grassy meadow reaching towards a house in the distance).

Great painting!

world war I nerd

The portrait, painted by the American artist Andrew Wyeth is titled "The Patriot" and is of Sergeant Ralph Cline (1895 -1976) of the 164th Infantry Regiment, 7th Division.

Mr. Cline volunteered for the Army shortly after America declared war in April of 1917. Later during WW II he served in the Maine State Guard Reserves and both his son and grandson served in the U.S. military.

After the war, Cline settled in the state of Maine, and on every Armistice/Memorial day he donned his old AEF uniform, which he always called "A good piece of goods," and participated in the local parades.

Wyeth saw Mr. Cline in one of the parades and thought that he personified a proud and patriotic American. Cline sat for the portrait in 1964, and it was later featured on the cover of "Life" magazine.

When he passed away in 1976, he was buried in the WW I uniform that he was so proud to have worn.

mikes militaria

Thanks to all, WW1 nerd, great info, as always, Gary, Rusty Canteen I do thank you , your intent to give me the info Gary stated is most appreciated. And also the rest for your opinions. I am grateful.

I was hesitant to post this portrait. I didn't know its relevance. It's a great story.

Again, many thanks to all, Mike

One of the greatest pleasures - and rewards - of this hobby: connecting the dots. Great story, and a thrill to read. Thank you.

mccooper

• 2 weeks later...

Really great thread, and I'm inspired all over again to keep collecting and saving these vet's stories and stuff for posterity!! I knew a few of them, and wish now that I had focused more on them and their stories than the uniforms and artifacts! It's hard to be a collector and historian at the same time, but I'm glad that so many on the Forum are really trying to do both. Thanks!!

David