Medals appraisal on Antiques Road Show aired last night.

DakotaDave

While the date is correct for the first US bombing of Germany, is this truly the first plane to bomb Germany? Or was it one of the planes in the first wave of a LOT of planes?

It is a very nice grouping though.

...Kat

Very recognizable plane....Famous B17.

Ron,

Is this documented as truly the FIRST plane to bomb Germany? I did a search and could not find the actual first plane mentioned.

...Kat

Ron,

Is this documented as truly the FIRST plane to bomb Germany? I did a search and could not find the actual first plane mentioned.

...Kat

Maybe yes, maybe no. It was on the mission and the lead plane for the 303d BG, which, by some accounts, dropped their bombs first. However, the 306th BG also claims credit, so who knows.

http://www.303rdbg.com/missionreports/012.pdf

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/mission/1646

Maybe yes, maybe no. It was on the mission and the lead plane for the 303d BG, which, by some accounts, dropped their bombs first. However, the 306th BG also claims credit, so who knows.

Thanks for the information....

American Citizen Pilots flying with the RCAF and RAF were dropping bombs in the ETO years before this date.

However, no idea if any of the bombs they dropped were American made. ;)

Wharf

Very cool! And he does state first "All American" crew to drop "American" bombs. But I think B229 is right on as the "Lead" ship would be the one to let the bombs go first. So maybe the first my a few seconds really. I any case it is still a way cool grouping and could make a great display! For ME not $3-5K cool though.

He should have technically been copilot on the lead aircraft that day but got bumped by a Lt Col and he flew as an observer instead. The unit was the 360th Bomb Squadron of the 303rd Bomb Group, the "Hells' Angels". As mentioned in the clip he was killed in a midair with another B-17 a few missions later while in heavy cloud cover. The 303rd website, which is extensive, has alot of good info on him and the mission.

DakotaDave

Anyone catch the "Expert's" definition of the short snorter?

Thanks, Al

Yeah, sounded like he was describing a Challenge Coin. I always thought the "Short Snorter" was just a fun way collecting your buddies autograph before your head back home.

The Purple Heart looks like a ( numbered ) Rex Products lacquered center type.

Wharf

I'm sure your right, I was shouting at the TV screen "show the number, just show the number" but he didn't, frankly doubt he knew it was even there! The wife told me to chill out.

Actually, the AM was probably also numbered given the time of death so early in the air war.

DakotaDave

Its a very historic and complete group, but I do not see 3-5K either. Perhaps if it had a DFC and a Silver Star too, I might.

Kurt

Anyone catch the "Expert's" definition of the short snorter?

Thanks, Al

That's exactly the definition I've heard firsthand from a couple of 8th AAF pilots that I've talked with in recent years. I'm sure for some it was just a memento of friends' signatures, but I've heard the "buying the drinks" story directly from vets, so there's got to be some truth to it.

That's exactly the definition I've heard firsthand from a couple of 8th AAF pilots that I've talked with in recent years. I'm sure for some it was just a memento of friends' signatures, but I've heard the "buying the drinks" story directly from vets, so there's got to be some truth to it.

I have always heard it too.

That's exactly the definition I've heard firsthand from a couple of 8th AAF pilots that I've talked with in recent years. I'm sure for some it was just a memento of friends' signatures, but I've heard the "buying the drinks" story directly from vets, so there's

got to be some truth to it.

That is what I was told when I began collecting them 30 years ago.

I had also been told many years ago by a 15th AF pilot that if you could not produce your short snorter when asked to in the bar a round of drinks was on you. Not sure if this was the original intent for a short snorter but this is how it ended up.

Ron,

...Kat

Dunno.....but its a well known plane for the nose art and 303 BG HELLS ANGELS