Ohio ARNG Dress green uniform, interesting breast badge.

jdamaso111

Named to a SGT Christopher D Ryan. Has a Graduate badge for Ohio ARNG NCOCS on the pocket and an Ohio basic training ribbon and and a Ohio award of merit ribbon. They both are the crimped back style ribbons. Also has a 3 year service stripe and DUIs for the 737th maintenance battalion and ordinance and U.S. Collar brass. 71 dated tag in the pocket. And a leather name tag in the cap with full name and social.

post-16540-0-91084700-1446524636.jpg

Interesting. no NDSM or Army Service ribbon.

The ASR wasent awarded until 1981 and the NDSM was not awarded to reserve and guard members unless on active duty during the Korean or Vietnam war.

Interesting.The service stripes are for federal service.Not sure why he would have it unless he was prior service.But if he was prior service he would have some other federal ribbons.

Interesting.The service stripes are for federal service.Not sure why he would have it unless he was prior service.But if he was prior service he would have some other federal ribbons.

I have a 3 year service stripe and I was only activated for a year. Now if he had an overseas service bar on the sleeve that would be a different story.

I have a 3 year service stripe and I was only activated for a year. Now if he had an overseas service bar on the sleeve that would be a different story.

Not sure how you got a service stripe for only 1 year of federal service.If thats the case I should have 4.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/flashcards/flashcards.php?cat=37&qnum=21

Not sure how you got a service stripe for only 1 year of federal service.If thats the case I should have 4.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/flashcards/flashcards.php?cat=37&qnum=21

The guard earn service stripes just like active duty army soldiers do. I don't see the confusion here?

I've been in for over five years so I rate one service stripe.

By whom worn. Enlisted personnel wear the service stripes as members of the Active Army, Army National Guard, and U.S. Army Reserve, when they have served honorably, as indicated below.

(1) In Active Federal service as a commissioned officer, warrant officer, or enlisted member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard.

(2) In Active Reserve service creditable for retirement for non-regular service, in accordance with chapter 1223, title 10, United States Code, as a commissioned officer, warrant officer, or enlisted member of any reserve component of the Armed Forces, including the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

e. One stripe is authorized for each 3 years of honorable active Federal service; active Reserve service creditable for retired pay for non-regular service; or a combination. There is no limit to the number of stripes worn; however, service stripes will not cover the chevrons. Service need not have been continuous, and the 10 th stripe is authorized after 29½ years. Individuals authorized more than 10 service stripes may elect whether or not to wear them.

Is this something new or relatively new this Service Stripes for ARNG and USAR? Back in the day, like the 30s-70s into the early 80s in my time, Service Stripes were to my understanding, Regular Army. A soldier who had them by virtue of service in the Regulars could of course wear them if and when he left the Regulars and RE-UPed in the Reserve Components.

Curious to know when the Ohio Basic Training Ribbon and and a Ohio Award of Merit first came out, in fact all of the NG ribbons started to come out, I know there were a few in the 60s, mostly Longevity types, seems to be a proliferation now.

As you see there are a ton of them for each state.

Click on each state to view their awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_National_Guard

The guard earn service stripes just like active duty army soldiers do. I don't see the confusion here?

I've been in for over five years so I rate one service stripe.

The confusion is that YOU stated that you were only active for ONE year and have a service stripe.The reg you quoted states THREE years.It also states officers and WO's.Unless this is a new reg only enlisted can wear service stripes.

then again everything in the military is changing.He has a service stripe so I want one, OK!