Antiaircraft Artillery Units in WWI AEF

mccooper

Another 2nd AA MG Bn. member, 2nd Lt. (later 1st. Lt,) Samuel Telfair, who was responsible for retrieving my Great-uncle off the battlefield. He was awarded the DSC for his actions.

2nd Lt. Samuel F. Telfair 1920.JPG

Samuel Telfair card.JPG

Here is an official photo of the 1st Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun Battalion's commanding officer, Major H. D. Cushing.  This was taken as the unit was boarding the Housatonic to return to the U.S. in April 1919.

Cushing1.jpg

Cushing2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 12:29 PM, mortaydc60 said:

Want to add a couple of my examples to the discussion. Think this is only bullion example shown so far.

Mort

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

Thanks for posting these! Really interesting to see! 

The top one . . . the Bullion is amazing! And to have used the blue velvet for the back base is gorgeous! 

The second one . . . interesting that the Arrow & Prop are pointing the other way. Also interesting to see that the "1" field was added and the blue backing is totally different. 

The fourth one . . . is this for the same group? Is the double "A" instead of the Arrow & Prop?

• 3 weeks later...

2nd AA MG Bn. Co. B, enlisted man's service coat from Herman Bosch of Highland Park, NY:  (Special thanks to Jonathan for the information on the ID.) 

IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

s-l1600 (3).jpg

5 hours ago, qmjones said:

2nd AA MG Bn. Co. B, enlisted man's service coat from Herman Bosch of Highland Park, NY:  (Special thanks to Jonathan for the information on the ID.) 

IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

s-l1600 (3).jpg

I don't know anything about WWI stuff but I like the background very very much :). Great collection!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  1. A few weeks ago, some close friends who have an Army Surplus shop in upstate NY contacted me and said they had a WWI uniform from the 2nd AA MG Bn. Turns out, the name in the pocket traces back to Pvt. Elting Clearwater from New Paltz, NY. He was a member of "Co. C" along with my Great-uncle Harry, whom was killed in action on November 4th 1918. Stranger still, his berthing space on the troop ship Zeelandia bound for Brest France contains the names of those who were in my uncle's squad and section! Seven of the eight names are men who wrote a condolence letter home to my great-grandparents the day after his death. Henry Acker was also interviewed as to the horrible circumstances leading up to his untimely death is featured in a newspaper article from the city of Mount Vernon, which my family kept. Incredible coincidence (Serendipitous confluence?) to have a uniform of someone who knew and interacted with him!  

IMG_9279.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Michael the Young AEF Guy
On 3/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, world war I nerd said:

Here's another variation of the standing red devil AA insignia that turned up recently on eBay.

It sure would be nice to see one of these things on a WW I service coat or in a period photograph.

post-5143-0-63968500-1553289479.jpg

Sorry to be so late to the party, but ask and ye shall eventually receive! This came out of the Bob Ford collection, with a note naming it to "William Michelini", who I later found was actually "Augusto G Michelini", who changed his first name post war. However, the jacket is initialed JG on the interior, so I'm unsure of how airtight the provenance is. But Michelini was in Company B of the 5th Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun Battalion, so I'd say that confirms this patch to that unit. Uniform has no rank, so private, and one oversea chevron.

32857E0B-5A1E-432C-A048-714C52894A29.jpeg

0FEA38C6-413B-460B-BBF2-7BD7A1D514AA.jpeg

089C0873-1CE7-4A3F-A867-92CC639B7946.jpeg