need naval history pro's on this: Research Tips

Costa

IS THERE ANY ONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN NAVAL HISTORY THAT CAN GO BACK AND FIND NAMES ASSOCIATED TO THE USS ARIZONA STARTING FROM 1920 WITH HER FIRST COMPLIMENT OF CREW TO 1933? THE REASON IS DUE TO THIS CREWMANS DRESS BLUE CAP NAMED TO T.J GIBBONS. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN HE WAS ON THE ARIZONA AND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE A PICTURE OF HIM. I HAVE A COUPLE OF LEADS FROM MEMBERS HERE BUT VAGUE. NEED SOME CONCRETE INFO.

post-73-0-15116400-1446403812.jpg

post-73-0-83540300-1446403842.jpg

If I wasn't on my phone, NARA has a database of WW1-era Navy enlistees. I'd check there and then pull his service record to determine dates for the ship.

I pulled out my laptop and did the search for you (you're welcome.) Anyway, here are your possibilities:

Gibbons Thomas Joseph -- [service Number] 001607042, [Date of Enlistment] 08/03/1918

Gibbons Thomas James -- [service Number] 001607040, [Date of Enlistment] 10/18/1917

Gibbons Thomas Joseph -- [service Number] 001607046, [Date of Enlistment] 07/13/1917

Of course, this database is not complete - I would guess it's around 80% there. However, one of these may fit. I would try searching on ancestry to see if you could find a profile for one of them that would include the Arizona - that would be easy. Or, maybe on fold3. The ship did do monthly and quarterly muster reports, so you could also fish through the 1000+ names on each of those - if you could find where they are located. Keep in mind the person may or may not have served on the Arizona...the hat could have belonged to another Sailor and then used by another on the ship.

Good luck!

Dave

THANK YOU DAVE--- A RARE ITEM AS THIS DESERVES TO BE ID'ED.

You're welcome. However, just be forewarned...unless you can access the ship's muster rolls from that time period (I think they are at the National Archives) you're definitely trying to find a needle in a haystack. It won't be impossible, but will require some legwork to get done. With what you already have into the hat, you'll have to ask yourself the question of how much more money you want to invest into it as far as researching it. Mid-war USS Arizona items are interesting, but don't have nearly the desirability or value as material that is from the late-1941 Pearl Harbor time period. I love researching things (that's what I "do") but I don't think finding out who the person was will really dramatically add any value to the hat...but that, of course, is simply my personal opinion.

Good luck!

Dave

Salvage Sailor

Costa,

Once you narrow down your search and hopefully find he was part of a ships' company, here is the link for accessing and researching USN deck logs (by date).

Naval History and Heritage Command

http://www.history.navy.mil/about-us/services-and-policies/deck-log-access.html

For ships' company roster and personnel files, you're delving into the BUPERS records.

Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel

http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/024.html

Roster of WW1 Navy enlistees on the NARA website? The folks at NARA have not made it very user friendly to find that marvelous database.

Does not seem to be on this lnk that might be a logical place for it.

http://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/military/ww1.html

You can pretty much only get the results from the advanced search for NARA online. I had to do a couple searches before I got the hang of it and started getting results (I hadn't made WW1 searches for a while!)

As I would prefer to not be accused of "holding back" information from any fellow collector (because, as those of you who know me, know that's how I operate...) :D;) here's how to do a search for WW1-era Navy enlistment information. It used to be easier and I at one time had a direct link to do the searches, but they revised the search

First, open the link and type in your search criteria.

11-3-2015 7-49-20 AM.jpg

Then, select the location. NOTE - even though you'd THINK that the Navy records would be at the military personnel branch (an actual option)...no, you have to select National Archives at St Louis...

11-3-2015 7-50-52 AM.jpg

• 1 month later...