1920's Bullion Pilot Wing on Black, Opinions?

cwnorma

I got this in recently with a nice WW1 wing. I bought it from the estate of a WW2 Navy Aviator who collected Aviation items. Unfortunately, there were no records to indicate if these items were associated with the WW1 items...

Post WW1 wings are a little bit outside of my wheelhouse, so I wanted to post these here and get your opinions:

post-594-0-55391800-1446402916.jpg

The wing is nicely padded, and it has the finer faceted bullion in the shouders

that I usually associate with earlier wings.

post-594-0-58002700-1446402930.jpg

All the items were in a Riker box with only these being Post WW1

post-594-0-19300000-1446402940.jpg

The collar wings are marked "MEYER METAL" which I think dates them

to 1923 or later? Campbell states the propellor was reduced in size in

1925 so that places these approximately in that window.

Anyway, thanks for looking and I appreciate your thoughts.

Chris

The BOS devices are probably from the 20's and 30's. Not sure exactly when they changed over, but someone ought to know and tell you as well as when the Meyer Metal hallmark was used.

The wings could be from the same time period as well. Bullion wings are a bit harder to date and I have seen similar wings dated out later around WWII.

Still, I wouldn't quibble too much if you told me that this was something from sometime between the wars. Super nice wings!

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for your thoughts! I am like a "pig staring at a wristwatch" when it comes to post-WW1 wings. I suspect that the old collector threw these in his "early aviation" riker box along with the WW1 items.

Of course, its also possible that it was all one group... Unfortunately, the old gent didn't keep records--or at least if he did, they didn't make it into the estate sale.

Chris

Patrick,

If I may be so bold as to use your photo, they look to me pretty similar to these you posted (way back in 2010) in the "between the wars wings" thread:

post-594-0-51000000-1446416991.jpg

You said then this photo was dated 1927. This style of wing must have been used for quite some time. I guess it was fancier than some so was a popular choice.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Chris

Yep, I have no doubt that those type of wings were worn between the wars, just that sometimes it's hard to date them for sure. The ones in the photo are a little bit different, but not by much.

I wouldn't have any problem with agreeing that these are probably 20's-30's vintage wings.

The other thing about the interwar period is that the Army got down to only a few thousand pilots. Their simply weren't a lot of guys around during that time. Factor in the greater fragility of bullion wings, and you can see why legitimate 20's and 30's bullion pilot wings are probably rather rare. However, once the recruitment and training of pilots started to gear up in the very late 30's and early 40's, you can imagine a rather sudden increase in wings and stuff being made. Whether these were older stock being sold out or newer items being made, there is no way to tell. In fact, outside one or two uber-collectors, I doubt that anyone should be considered an expert.

In any case, really nice wings.

Thought I would show an oblique shot to show how well padded the wing is and how these Meyer collar wings are curved like an archer's bow:

post-594-0-43407100-1446422189.jpg

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Chris

I am with Patrick all the way.... AND JUST SPLENDID WINGS. Very elegant and well-preserved find. The bullion maker decided to go with the bidirectional bullion design in the shoulders instead of the highly reflective faceted wire which creates a beautiful unity to the design framed by the thicker wire bullion in the shoulders and the escutcheon... Just outstanding wings.

I am with Patrick all the way.... AND JUST SPLENDID WINGS. Very elegant and well-preserved find. The bullion maker decided to go with the bidirectional bullion design in the shoulders instead of the highly reflective faceted wire which creates a beautiful unity to the design framed by the thicker wire bullion in the shoulders and the escutcheon... Just outstanding wings.

Mel,

Thank you for your kind words.

Chris

That's a very handsome grouping Chris! Over the past few years, I've noticed a real increase in the interest these interwar-period wings are receiving. And of course, a corresponding jump in values.