Lt. Egbert Charles Rexrode E Company 506th PIR 101st Airborne Division

warpath

He has been incorrectly listed online and in a couple of publications as Charles E. and Charles R. Rexrode.

A fine group.

Can you elaborate on why or how he is incorrectly listed in these sources?

Thanks for your time

A fine group.

Can you elaborate on why or how he is incorrectly listed in these sources?

Thanks for your time

There are a couple of 506th rosters that transposed his middle name with his first name

http://old.506infantry.org/his2ndbnwwiiarticle06.html and http://www.dday-overlord.com/soldats_easy_company.htm ...

Rexrode went by Charles or Chas and that seems to have been picked up post war by 506th PIR biographers...Simple error that creates issues for researchers, something to keep in mind while researching historical records and personal accounts, there may be variable spellings and/or mistakes to weed through. Ed

Incredible group...congratulations!

I've owned this grouping for over 20 years and had misplaced Rexrode's photos until yesterday when I rediscovered them while sorting through some of my stored artifacts...It's always good to run across fine artifacts, but it's a pain to be as disorganized as I am! Ed

Ed, I appreciate you bringing this out of the woodwork to share!

I'm not a genius on the dog tag issue, but it appears he was from TN or had family there. I like it.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the 517 Infantry insignia and the 17th Airborne patch? I know from my Father's service record and history that in March 1945 the 517th was handed over to the 13th Airborne Division and some of the combat veterans sere not happy about being placed with a division that had not seen any action and some of them went with the 17th Airborne division 513th PIB like my Dad did! And some of the other troopers ended up with the 17th 513th PIB because they didn't have enough points or time to go stateside as early as other units did....? Any thoughts why these items are with this collection?

Dan

post-19484-0-36253400-1447641035.jpg

Dan, I can't say much since I don't have his records so his late war service is an unknown other than he definitely served with the 17th Airborne. I know he served as an Easy Company 506th PIR officer until at least after Normandy. He was wounded and went to another unit, but, again, I'm not sure when or where. Ed

• 2 years later...