USMC MI03....on the move!

Sabrejet

The M103 was designed and produced in the late 50s as a counter to the JS family of heavies fielded by the Soviets at that time. It was rather like an M48 on steroids! Its huge cast turret housed a 120mm gun which could take out enemy armour at extreme ranges. Over 300 were made but they never fired a shot in anger. Instead, the US Army went on to adopt the new 105mm armed M60 MBT and thereafter its remaining M103s were transferred to the Marine Corps where they remained in service until the early 70s.

I photographed this M103 in the arena at this year's Tankfest. It really is an impressive beast which makes the ground tremble as it drives by!

post-8022-0-18181300-1446296232.jpg

post-8022-0-52381300-1446296251.jpg

Geez, that turret is HUGE! So much for a low profile. That is one area where Warsaw Pact tanks had us beat... but then again their tanks were designed for short people to operate.

Ian, wonderful pictures as usual.

And Gil I couldn't agree more, the first thing I thought was, what a target.

Geez, that turret is HUGE! So much for a low profile. That is one area where Warsaw Pact tanks had us beat... but then again their tanks were designed for short people to operate.

Speaking of huge turrets....how's about this one?! It's the Chrysler TV-8 which was also developed during the 50s. Thankfully, it didn't make it beyond the prototype stage!

post-8022-0-05037200-1446395534.jpg

Speaking of huge turrets....how's about this one?! It's the Chrysler TV-8 which was also developed during the 50s. Thankfully, it didn't make it beyond the prototype stage!

Why that looks like something from the Jetsons :lol:.