Missile Combat Crew white coverall uniform. Questions on wear.

DutchInfid3l

Most photos I run across they are wearing an ascot, are they wearing anything underneath? There is an article stating that long johns were worn at colder climates... A few photos it looks like a white t-shirt. I had found a photo of a group pic of a few wearing khaki dress shirts, now I can't seem to find it again :(

post-3394-0-02649200-1446270720.jpegpost-3394-0-78058300-1446270816.jpeg

They would be wearing white underwear or long johns underneath. These uniforms would get dirty quickly and were actually cleaned at unit or Air Force expense.

From my experience, the blue ascot was something that was best described as a bib with snaps on the back. It was worn mostly during inspections and exercises or during photo opportunities and not generally during an operational shift.

Uniforms of missile crews generally evolved along with the operational tempo of the Air Force, starting with white and transitioning to blue and at one point to Nomex flight suits. Most people outside the Air Force are not usually aware that blue flight suits, fatigues and jackets were once worn by what are termed special duty crews -- such as missiles, executive airlift, and aeromedical. (That is what is being worn by the competition crew.)

Also note that the enlisted men in your photos are most likely missile maintenance people. Those guys, as did other site support personnel, usually wore fatigues during my era of the Air Force.

The ones with the pistol or web belts may be the crew commanders. They may also be missile maintenance types.

You are also seeing the variation of launch capsules which factored in the weapon system: Atlas, Minuteman or Titan.