A Young Collector's WWII USMC Display

Jake the Collector

• 4 weeks later...
Jake the Collector

I recently purchased this 2nd pattern USMC canteen cover, which appears to have the rare orange trim (the photograph doesn't display this well). And even rarer is what I found inside: the intact quartermaster stamp, which, despite the cover being very salty, is so clear you can read every word.

post-159182-0-79740300-1467408990.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Jake the Collector

I received this 2nd variant USMC P1912 canteen cover today purchased from a fellow forum member. Still has a strong USMC stamp.

post-159182-0-71000200-1469041065.jpg

Jake the Collector

I thought this might be interesting to share- a photo of my collection taken exactly a year ago today compared to a photo taken a few days ago. A lot has changed, and it goes to show how quickly our collections can grow when we stay dedicated.

Here's the collection a year ago, complete with an Army-issued cartridge and pistol belt, repro suspenders, post-war helmet, and repro K-rations:

post-159182-0-83885500-1469375325.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Jake the Collector

I received my first UNIS-marked item today: a 3rd pattern canteen cover marked to a private first class in F Company, 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division. There's a possibility it belonged to a BAR gunner, as the metal hanger has been resewn higher up, which was a common practice among BAR gunners with 3rd pattern covers in order to make them fit more comfortably on their bulky ammunition belts.

post-159182-0-65054900-1470699477_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-73475700-1470699488_thumb.jpg

(I'm not sure why the pictures are turned sideways)

• 4 months later...
ParanormalTrooper

Amazing collection, just wanted to let you know this thread is what originally inspired me to make my USMC WWII set up!

That is really nice how you have displayed your collection. I also want to compliment you on your focus - I lack focus and have more of an accumulation than a collection! :blink:

Jake the Collector

Amazing collection, just wanted to let you know this thread is what originally inspired me to make my USMC WWII set up!

Thank you, that's great to hear. Having been inspired by countless collections posted on the forum myself, it means a lot to know that my collection is doing the same for someone else.

That is really nice how you have displayed your collection. I also want to compliment you on your focus - I lack focus and have more of an accumulation than a collection! :blink:

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
Jake the Collector

I picked up this very interesting USMC carbine pouch recently. It's a salty 1943-dated example manufactured by S.F. Co. and is both named and unit-marked on the back. The unit marking doesn't appear to be a UNIS, so I'm not really sure what it means.

post-159182-0-12651700-1488900365_thumb.jpg

Jake the Collector

I've wanted one of these for a very long time: an early-production USMC haversack with riveted buckles. It's the second version of the first-pattern haversack without the D-rings and is named twice to the same Marine--once on the entrenching tool tab and once on the inside of the flap. Though the entrenching tool strap is missing, the pack is still in solid condition.

post-159182-0-15896000-1489445726_thumb.jpg