a ww2 Civil Defense helmet of a different kind: painted 6th CB USN

BROBS

picked this up..

really cool helmet to me and these guys were in it from the beginning.. doing lots of work on Guadalcanal.

Just wanted to share here.

thanks,

-Brian

post-114538-0-35471500-1446159325.jpg

that's all the pics I took of it.

You can just tell this thing has been wet with rain and salt spray.

When I saw it the first time I couldn't believe it.

-Brian

That's an awesome piece! I recently picked up a civil defense helmet repurposed and used by the FDNY (I'm guessing sometime in the 50's), painted red with an auxiliary fire decal on the front. Also named to the owner inside with his Hook and Ladder number. Thanks for posting

No problem..

I'm sure a lot of these civil defense helmets got re-used for all sorts of things!

This one is a combat, non-combattant helmet?

A friend suggested that they may have been short on M1 helmets at the time the 6th would have been formed..

very early in the war.

http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/seabee/UnitListPages/NCB/006%20NCB.pdf

-Brian

Cool helmet, i can just picture a CB wearing this while driving a bulldozer carving out a landing strip on some far off jungle island!....mike

Thanks guys. It was on eBay in a lot with some other items like a footlocker and other misc. unfortunately nothing was named, so I made an offer on the helmet and picked it up!

-Brian

We keep calling these "civil defense helmets", naturally because that is one agency that made use of them.

But I think they are more properly government issued construction helmets, similar to civilian models that were use at the time.

suwanneetrader

In the 60's I worked for Cincinnati Gas & Elec and many of the old buildings still had Bomb Shelters (some were upgraded and stock was current but many were in disrepair with 1940's items in them. I remember one with falling apart cardboard containers (from wet and mold) that contained 100's of these white helmets. I believe the containers each held either 100 or 144 helmets. Richard