USAAF 91st A2 patch ID: 91st Observation Squadron

Mitch

Hi,

Not in my collecting expertise(not like I have one). I need some help with this named A2 jacket removed 91st leather patch. There are several different names for this unit , so I would like to nail this down. The gentleman received his pilot status in Jan. 1944 in class 44a at Santa Anna, CA. I have no more info on him after that. His name was Otha Vester Coke. I would like to know if this patch looks like it would date to Jan. 44 and on and if so for what specific unit would it have been for. Thanks for any help.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-24654200-1446143993.jpgpost-592-0-92194200-1446144007.jpg

doinworkinvans

Cant answer that for you, but my last name is Vester - and not too common, so that's pretty neat

The patch looks older than '44 to me

91st Observation Squadron in the WW2 period. Served in the continental U. S. Also deployed to bases in Central and South America and the Panama Canal zone. Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply. This is where I got confused because of the owners timeframe as a pilot. Here is what I found on the internet.

Here are wikepedia's designations;

Redesignated: 91st Observation Squadron (Medium) on 13 January 1942
Redesignated: 91st Observation Squadron on 4 July 1942
Redesignated: 91st Reconnaissance Squadron (Bomber) on 2 April 1943
Redesignated: 91st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron on ii August 1943
Redesignated: 91st Photographic Mapping Squadron on 9 October 1943
Redesignated: 91st Photographic Charting Squadron on 17 October 1944
Redesignated: 91st Reconnaissance Squadron (Long Range, Photographic) on 15 June 1945
Redesignated: 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron (Photographic) on 25 March 1949
Redesignated: 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron (Medium, Photographic) on 6 July 1950
Redesignated: 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter) on 20 December 1954
Inactivated on 1 July 1957

Thanks , Mitch

Hi,

Me again. I guess what I really want to know for sure if the design change at all through all the change in designation ? If it didn't change then I would identify it to the designation during the time the owner would have flown !

Regards, Mitch

Johnny Signor

I'm thinking your patch is 1944 era then seeing as he got his wings at that time and would have went to the unit there about, so it would make it the Photo Charting Squadron era as in the listing above post

• 4 years later...

Hi Mitch! 

I can't believe I am reaching out to you, but that patch belonged to my late grandfather O.V. Coke. I was wondering if you still had that patch because it has tremendous sentimental value for my mom, who was O.V.'s only daughter. I would be more than willing to prove my link to grandad and I would absolutely love to buy the patch from you, as it has such familial importance. I can even tell you a little about grandad and what he did in the Air Force. Please respond if you can, it would mean the absolute WORLD to me and my mother.