Post your WWII officer IKE uniforms!

doinworkinvans

Earlier I posted photos of Lt. Col. Thurman Shuller being awarded the French Coix de Guerre in both his dress uniform and his Ike, this is that Ike. Col. Shuller was the Flight Surgeon for the 306th BG who was used as the model for the flight surgeon in the movie 12 O'clock High. He is also the officer responsible for the limit of 25 missions for flight crews in the 8th AAF. During his time in Europe during WW2 he only wore his rank, the one ribbon over his right pocket, his flight surgeon wings and the 6 stripes on the left sleeve. For his home coming he added the ribbon rack and 8th AAF patch. All patches, pins, ribbons and the flight surgeon wings had been stripped from the uniform before I bought it leaving only the 6 stripes on the left sleeve. I have replaced the ribbons with Wolf-Brown ribbons and the 8th AAF patch with the British made 8th AAF patch from his overcoat. The flight surgeon wings are reprodiction ones until I find some originals I can afford. The Ike is a nice large 40L enlisted jacket.

post-87451-0-51723800-1446751573.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
carbinephalen

Here are a few of mine that I have had through the collection over the years. Some are cutdowns and some are tailored 4-pockets to look like the Ike

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

107_8174.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have no idea why one uniform would be chosen over the other but here are photos of an officer receiving the same award, the same day from the same officer wearing both coats.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It's because in the Ike Jacket, the flight surgeon is out of uniform. Notice no wings and SSI. The wings would have been mandatory.

I have no idea why one uniform would be chosen over the other but here are photos of an officer receiving the same award, the same day from the same officer wearing both coats.

It's because in the Ike Jacket, the flight surgeon is out of uniform. Notice no wings and SSI. The wings would have been mandatory.

Actually, the jacket that he is wearing is the M1944 FIELD JACKET and field jackets were not supposed to have insignia pinned to them. Of course, the practice was to add the insignia and to wear the jacket as a "walking out" uniform, so the regulations were relaxed to allow them to be worn as a dress uniform.

Allan

Then it's the same reason. He's still out of uniform.

Obviously one photo captures the actual medal presentation. The other could have been staged with the proper uniform as an official photo for a press release or some other form of historical documentation. We don't know if the photos of the presentation were done before a small group of the command staff or before a formation of officers.

Colonel Shuller is in the Army Air Forces for five years. He goes from a first lieutenant to colonel in that period and assignments that end as the command flight surgeon of the First Air Division. That means, he's not in the field, he's at a headquarters level unit, commanded by a one or two-star general, with three or four combat wings and 12 combat groups.

He's important, historically, to the 8th Air Force, and I'd bet that, even today, you'd probably find references to him in the 8th's history or operations.

I parted with this one a while ago; but it was a good one with the bullion patch, sewn-on rank, and regulation officers label.

post-36487-0-30172900-1460652593.jpg

• 1 year later...

Some fantastic uniforms here! Unfortunately I don't have any officer Ike jackets to share, just some enlisted ones (which includes my Grandfather's). I'd like to add some officer Ike jackets to my collection though!

• 1 month later...
TheGrayGhost

Just came across this thread and thought I would post. I have had this finely tailored B-13 for a long time. Unfortunately, unnamed. One of the finest blouses I have ever seen. Included a beautiful set of feathered prop & wings, which I had never seen before or since.

post-11017-0-06695200-1503502842_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-67929000-1503502855.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

This uniform belonged to Lt Paul R Ruth Jr - Lead Bombardier, 350th Squadron, 100th Bomb Group.

He flew on 24 missions in '45

1 29/01/45 KASSEL

2. 3/02/45 BERLIN

3. 14/02/45 CHEMNITZ

4. 15/02/45 COTTBUS

5. 17/02/45 GIESSEN

6. 24/02/45 BREMEN (SGT MILES WAS IN HOSPITAL AND MISSED THIS MISSION)

7. 25/02/45 MUNICH

8. 26/02/45 BERLIN

9. 28/02/45 KASSEL

10. 3/03/45 BRUNSWICK

11. 10/03/45 DORTMUND

12. 11/03/45 HAMBURG

13. 14/03/45 HANOVER

14. 15/03/45 ORANIENBURG

15. 17/03/45 PLAUEN

16. 19/03/45 JENA

17. 24/03/45 STEENWIJK

18. 24/03/45 ZIEGENHAIN

19. 28/03/45 HANOVER

20. 30/03/45 HAMBURG

21. 3/04/45 KIEL

22. 16/04/45 POINT De GRAVE

23. 18/04/45 STRAUBING

24. 20/04/45 ORANIENBURG (LAST MISSION FLOWN BY 100TH BOMB GROUP).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Standing back row to the right.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky 7th Armored

Just came across this thread and thought I would post.  I have had this finely tailored B-13 for a long time.  Unfortunately, unnamed.  One of the finest blouses I have ever seen.  Included a beautiful set of feathered prop & wings, which I had never seen before or since.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_5157.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_5156.jpg

Wow! What a beautiful coat!! Have you tried using IR or a night vision setting on a camera to try and find a hidden name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk