TD Patch on eBay. Thoughts.

Jim Baker

Garth Thompson

Just saying something is fake is a fairly worthless comment. If you think the patch isn't real explain please explain yourself for the other members education.

I'd say it was a one-off privately commissioned patch rather than "a fake". The embroidery is quite intricate...probably took hours to do by hand. What worthwhile profit is there in faking such a thing....unless produced in sufficient quantities?!

I would say it is a Post WW2 German made patch. I had and sold one similar that came out of a nice patch lot two summers ago. Mine had a decent amount of mothing which makes me believe the authenticity of the patch. Both have silver bullion on it and have some major differences but the construction of it is similar and I like the backing as it was similar to mine though mine had 80% of the original black backing on it.

The original purchaser of the patch in question must have tucked it away and it appears to be a nice gem preserved through the ages.

post-122868-0-58636800-1445874879.jpg

100% original early post war German made. I acquired a nearly identical one from a vet stationed in occupied Germany 1946-49. All were hand embroidered which accounts for small variations in design observed on similar original TD patches.

Many early post war German stitcheries used die cut card stock templets as guides for hand embroidering bullion US patches. Shown is an original TD templet.

post-8535-0-81678700-1445878599.jpg

Hmmm...not a one-off at all then...but not a fake either, which is good news! A very attractive patch which would "lift" any GI uniform.

Like I said, it (still) does not give me a fuzzy feeling.

There are some really nice made reproductions on the market as well.

If this is really a postwar German made one, that's good, but I still wouldn't buy it.

But on the other hand, it also could be a patch made for a TD association to put on their association jackets.

That is why I asked Jim if he had more info regarding this patch.

Erwin

All the real ones I've seen have a backing cloth. This one doesn't have that. Wasn't this same patch for sale like 6 months ago with black paper on the back?

The Post War German made example that I posted and was also posted in #11 can also be found in post #21 at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56185-tank-destroyer-ssi-and-insignia/ These had the typical black backing.

Here is part of the back from the variation that I have seen at least 5 of to date

post-122868-0-77680000-1445953909.jpgpost-122868-0-89958700-1445953910.jpeg

It is interesting to note that the original patch does not have some sort of a gauze stabilizer. Granted, with the cardboard cutout it would have presented some stiffness for the tailor making the patch..it would have been a real B@#$! to make. Skill level power 10.

Those who are German made gurus. Have you seen patches constructed like the initial patch?

Here's the back of two other TDs I have-black paper was typically used as a stabilizer but the Germans also used old newspaper, etc...what ever was handy. The patch shown in post 1 without backing is unusual but not unprecedented. The original backing could have just completely disintegrated over time. Sorry about the camera glare-the patches are stored in acid free poly sleeves.

post-8535-0-02918400-1445963703.jpg

post-8535-0-19432000-1445963711.jpg

Pictorial Guide to US Anti-Tank and Tank Destroyer Memorabilia (Revised Edition 2014) by Paul B. Stevens is a great reference guide of TD insignia and related material Copies are available through ASMIC..

Am I the only one who thinks the border thread looks like Wehrmacht surplus feld grau? If so, that would give the German origin some credibility.

So tell me why this patch couldn't be a patch made for a TD association?

Why do some of you keep insisting it is postwar German made????

Erwin

Well, to start off with, the seller is a very serious collector that knows his stuff. I would only love to see his collection and I would venture that he has one of the top collections in the US. Anyone can be duped into a patch....but I am going to say that I would give this seller the benefit of the doubt for who he is. This was not one of those patches out of the wood work so to speak being sold by a dubious 2nd sellers account.

So tell me why this patch couldn't be a patch made for a TD association?

Why do some of you keep insisting it is postwar German made????

Erwin

The patch shown below-as I stated in post #10-was obtained by me (along with a number of other beautiful hand embroidered bullion patches) from a GI stationed in occupied Germany 1946-1949. He intended to display them when he returned home, but they sat stored in a shoe box in his closet for over 40 years until I acquired them.

There is no question this TD patch-as well as similarly constructed TD patches-are 100% original.

post-8535-0-90431600-1446051831.jpg