Yesterday's USMC Estate Sale Find

Sparty On

I acquired this USMC from the estate sale of James J. Ursulan yesterday morning. The group consists of his uniform including his visor and two pairs of trousers. Also present in the group is his overcoat and a USMC camo poncho dated 1943 in excellent condition. Some of the smaller items include two garrison caps, a set of suspenders, two blankets personalized with "USMC", and a ditty bag. The 3rd amphibious corps patch is twill and the 5th patch is embroidered on twill. Both patches have cheesecloth backing.

The cursory research I found was that Ursulan enlisted December 10, 1942 and was part of the 7th anti-aircraft battalion (his footlocker is painted 7th AA on the side). According to muster rolls he sailed from Honolulu to Palmyra Island aboard the carrier Midway on February 28, 1943. On January 2, 1945, he was aboard the U.S.S. Missouri, however the report doesn't indicate from where to he sailed. The last report has him sailing from Ulithi Atoll on the fleet oiler U.S.S. Ponaganset to an unknown destination. I think I may need to enlist the help of some of the research services such as Golden Arrow to find more details of his activities.

post-104736-0-28818100-1445815334.jpg

He was with the First Defense Bn, then became part of the Missouri's Marine detachment and stayed on the Mo until Oct. 1945.

4310.jpg

4404.jpg

4501.jpg

That's just killer. I dream of finding a nice USMC grouping. Buying off the internet is nothing like finding something in the woodwork.

USMC-RECON0321

Great Score Mike! And another local vet to boot. That stuff all looks like it was taken very good care of. Can you post pictures of the foot locker and gym bag (Ditty bag)?

I just realized I made an error in describing one of the patches. The 5th corps patch is actually felt not twill.

Bob, thanks for the information. This helps a lot also! It sounds as if he spent most of his time at vs. on land, correct?

ViewfinderGyrene

He was with the First Defense Bn, then became part of the Missouri's Marine detachment and stayed on the Mo until Oct. 1945.

attachicon.gif4310.jpg

attachicon.gif4404.jpg

attachicon.gif4501.jpg

So it's confirmed he was aboard during the Surrender then? Very nice group, very history! Congrats to the owner!

Great pickup Mike! Nice to see it all came together. I know it wasnt easy!

Thanks Jay for the heads up on this sale. I have another forum member searching his file so hopefully I can get more info about his time on the Missouri.

• 3 weeks later...