American Red Cross Insignia

jmar

Hello everybody, first off a Merry Christmas to you all and Happy Holidays.

I would like to run something by you all. Would it be an idea to have this thread pinned and make it a dedicated one to ARC items? Of course it would need Joe's approval because he started this wonderful thread and since it was started as an ARC Insignia thread it might turn into something that is/was not his intention. It is just a thought.

Another item from my collection is this phrase book. On the backi you can see it is printed in Casablanca. Could it be operation Torch related?

attachicon.gifSAM_2601 phrase book.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_2617 phrase book 2.jpg

Rene

Hello Rene!

Thank you for adding some very nice additions to this thread, as well as your kind comments. I'm glad to see that there is continued interest in this area of collecting. My intent for this thread was to have our members add their knowledge and share photos of their collections. I'm happy to see that has happened and is still happening! As far as having a thread pinned I have no idea how that comes to be. I surmise that the admins and moderators decide on what they think is worthwhile to pin. Considering this is not a huge area of interest I doubt we'll see that happen. I am, however, very flattered that you think it is that important.

My best wishes to you, I look forward to seeing more of your collection as is progresses.

Joe

JoAnntheGreat

I am brand new here, so I am not surprised I did not find this until right now. So very interesting considering the rabbit hole of ARC I have been down for months now. I am a pattern maker and have just published a pattern for WWII Red Cross Girls uniform. I have written a blog post about them. I had never even heard of them until an acquaintance agreed to lend me her uniform for me to copy. (I never hurt any garment when copying, Ee gad no) Anyway if you are interested here is a link to the post. I will be following this thread forevermore. The information here would also be of interest to those who will be doing an ARC girl impression. I'm going to go back and go through this with a fine tooth comb! Thanks so much for posting. Fabulous. https://laughingmoonmercantile.blogspot.com

If interested in the uniform here is a link for that. http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p139.htm Thanks, JoAnn

The second reason is this other remarkable Red Cross related item I spotted yesterday while out on my Christmas Day gluttony recovery walk. This train car is currently parked and undergoing restoration work at Santa Clara CA train station. During WWII it was loaned to the Red Cross for use in the blood drive operations. I figured it may be of some interest here.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, it's nice to see you here too. thanks for adding the pictures.

Rene

Hello Joe, thank you for your kind words. I guess you are right in thinking that it is up to the moderators to deem this thread worthy to be pinned. In my opinion a thread about a lesser known field of collecting does not necessarily mean that it can't be pinned. Let's see what happens. I will gladly continue to add items from my collection :) and I hope others will keep doing so too.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Rene

I am brand new here, so I am not surprised I did not find this until right now. So very interesting considering the rabbit hole of ARC I have been down for months now. I am a pattern maker and have just published a pattern for WWII Red Cross Girls uniform. I have written a blog post about them. I had never even heard of them until an acquaintance agreed to lend me her uniform for me to copy. (I never hurt any garment when copying, Ee gad no) Anyway if you are interested here is a link to the post. I will be following this thread forevermore. The information here would also be of interest to those who will be doing an ARC girl impression. I'm going to go back and go through this with a fine tooth comb! Thanks so much for posting. Fabulous. https://laughingmoonmercantile.blogspot.com

If interested in the uniform here is a link for that. http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p139.htm Thanks, JoAnn

Hello JoAnn, welcome to the Forum and to this thread! Looking forward to your contributions :)

Rene

Happy New Year everyone! To start off the new year I'm adding another item from my ARC collection. It is a map of Firenze (Italy).

post-169612-0-24822100-1514815163_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-44502000-1514815181_thumb.jpg

Rene

I don't have any items to share, but am always looking to learn things. Pinning this works for me. I wouldn't mind a medical sectional also. If there isn't enough interest in either, maybe put them together?

Mikie

Salvage Sailor

Motor Service (1923-1946). The Red Cross Motor Service provided transportation support to canteens, military hospitals, and camps, and was involved in the campaign against the Spanish influenza outbreak of 1918. The Service consisted almost entirely of women volunteers, most of whom used their own cars. Many enrolled in auto mechanics classes in order to be able to make repairs whenever needed. By war's end, there were over 12,000 Motor Corps workers who had clocked a total of more than 3.5 million miles of service on America's roads.

attachicon.gifARC-Motor-CorpsLO.jpg

Excellent collection you've been posting and nice additions from all contributors. Here's my Grandmothers Motor Service unitorms and pins on another topic http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40862-american-red-cross-service-from-the-great-war-to-present/

Hello gang!

Some more great additions to this thread, thank you ALL for taking the time to stop in and post!

Here are a few ribbon bars I have, I think I have more variations somewhere, but they must be parts of groups since I can't locate them right now.

Some of these are still in their original glassine envelopes, featured are cloth and enameled bars. I believe that they are all IDed on the chart I posted a short while ago in this thread.

So let's see some more! Post away, it's very enjoyable to see your collections or individual pieces! Every item is important!

Happy New Year, you have my best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-96528300-1514845272_thumb.jpg

Excellent collection you've been posting and nice additions from all contributors. Here's my Grandmothers Motor Service unitorms and pins on another topic http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40862-american-red-cross-service-from-the-great-war-to-present/

OUTSTANDING! This is fantastic, historical material, thank you for adding it here!

Best wishes,

Joe

Thanks for posting that link and bringing it to my/our attention. I for one hadn't seen it before. It's great to read about your families involvement in the ARC and see all those beautiful items.

Rene

Next is an itinerary for visits to the cities of Versailles and Fontainebleau and apart from the city to visit It's of the same kind as hirsca posted in post 26.

post-169612-0-64496400-1515070359.jpg

post-169612-0-92349400-1515070383_thumb.jpg

Rene

Not sure if these are ARC or US Army issued. I think that they are WW2 era. Any ideas?

Thanks, Al

I do not know the era but I believe these are not ARC items. These are Army medical armbands.

..Kat

I do not know the era but I believe these are not ARC items. These are Army medical armbands.

..Kat

Thanks Kat. I agree that they are not ARC. I wonder if there is a data base that shows the dates of the numbering sequence?

Al

Often army neutrality armbands carry a stamp that corresponds with a special identity card that was issued with the armband. The Geneva Convention protected army personnel working in front line medical aid stations, Chaplains, litter bearers and medics.

post-169612-0-54903900-1515086553_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-43309000-1515086628_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hello all,

Very happy to see the continued interest! Here are a few First World War Service Medals:

no stripe for 6 months service
1 white stripe for 1 year service
2 white stripes for 18 months service
3 white stripes for 2 years service
4 white stripes for 30 months service

I'll post more as time permits.

Best wishes to all!

Joe

post-48324-0-64795400-1515360014_thumb.jpg

Joe,

You have some beautiful insignia that I have never seen! Very interesting about the stripes. I love to see your items. Thanks for posting!

My best to you.....Kat

Joe,

You have some beautiful insignia that I have never seen! Very interesting about the stripes. I love to see your items. Thanks for posting!

My best to you.....Kat

+ 1

Rene

Joe,

My best to you.....Kat

Hi Kat!

Always nice to see you stop by. I really like the 2 stripe example. It appears that someone had added them by hand with a beautiful, period, chain-stitch, I wish I knew the history behind it. Thank you again for your supportive comments. I'm going to start adding some of the various WW II pins featuring different makers and styles.

I hope all is well with you, my best wishes always,

Joe