American Red Cross Insignia

jmar

Researching World War Two Red Cross workers is not easy. I have a group to a Red Cross worker, Freida Peterson, who served in the CBI theater in 1944-1945. I have found some information on her on Ancestry and Newspapers.com, but nothing other than she sailed from Calcutta to New York with many other Red Cross workers from the CBI theater in 1945. The group consists of her named overseas cap, bullion patches, pins, CBI jewelry, Red Cross certificate and a beautiful large CBI bullion thread embroidery. It seems that all of the Red Cross worker files are in the archives at College Park. The CBI files are in 36 boxes that have very inaccurate indexes. I have a researcher who is working through the boxes. When I can track down her history I will post her wonderful group. If you click on the picture you will get a larger image.

Dick

post-9487-0-43983000-1452441549.jpg

post-9487-0-82487800-1452441555.jpg

Hi Dick,

That patch is truly amazing! I would enjoy seeing the rest of the group, and I'm sure that so would many others.

Thanks for stopping in and adding a very rare piece of history to my thread!

Best wishes always,

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I hope you are all doing well. I'm planning on adding more to this thread as time permits. For this addition we have a rather large lifesaving badge. I've placed a standard size next to it for scale.

It's quite heavy and very well made multi-piece construction. If anyone has info on it I'd enjoy hearing!

Please feel free to add, there have been some great additions by fellow members, for those I thank you!

Best wishes,

Joe

post-48324-0-71646900-1454189611.jpg

• 1 year later...

Time to revive the thread. Here are some ARC items I picked up yesterday at an estate sale. From my copy of the December 1943 National Geographic, I've identified the bottom two. The top two were not in the NG images. I'm guessing that since they each have an added metal silver stripe, they most likely are some sort of longevity or other milestone achievement. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Al

Time to revive the thread. Here are some ARC items I picked up yesterday at an estate sale. From my copy of the December 1943 National Geographic, I've identified the bottom two. The top two were not in the NG images. I'm guessing that since they each have an added metal silver stripe, they most likely are some sort of longevity or other milestone achievement. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Al

I guess it helps if I attach the pics......

post-12790-0-25515300-1508012884_thumb.jpg

post-12790-0-74742500-1508012889_thumb.jpg

Hello and thank you for reviving this thread! You have a nice selection, thank you for posting. Attached is a chart that might help you with IDing your top two ribbon bars.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-67604000-1508626145_thumb.gif

Hello and thank you for reviving this thread! You have a nice selection, thank you for posting. Attached is a chart that might help you with IDing your top two ribbon bars.

Best wishes!

Joe

attachicon.gif Redcross.gif

Thanks Joe. That is a great help.

Thanks again,

Al

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all!

I hope you're doing well and ready for the upcoming holidays!

I'm posting an update to my ARC nurses' badges. A detail view of a 1908 badge is included. Made by Whitehead and Hoag, this early badge is named and numbered 568 with hand engraving. If anyone needs detailed views of any in the group photo please message me, I'll be happy to send you an 1800 dpi scan!

Many thanks to my fellow Forum members who have kept this thread alive.

Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Holidays to all!

Joe

OBVERSE:

post-48324-0-72384100-1513895635_thumb.jpg

Joe,

Your collection never ceases to amaze me. These are some beautiful ARC insignia.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year

...Kat

Hi Kat!

I hope you're doing well! Thank you for your kind words and support. It's nice to see that there is interest in this area. I've enjoyed viewing the additions to this thread! I must admit I feel somewhat diminished having sold off more than half of my collection, but all things must pass, and since most have gone to fellow forum members, I know they are in good hands!

A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well old friend, and I wish you, and all of us, a Happy New Year!

Joe

I'm not that knowledgeable about ARC items so I don't know where this next item ( the service bar) fits in but I like to collect ARC items because of their instant appeal ( well, at least to me :) )

post-169612-0-69124000-1514142470_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-58352800-1514142661_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hello everybody, first off a Merry Christmas to you all and Happy Holidays.

I would like to run something by you all. Would it be an idea to have this thread pinned and make it a dedicated one to ARC items? Of course it would need Joe's approval because he started this wonderful thread and since it was started as an ARC Insignia thread it might turn into something that is/was not his intention. It is just a thought.

Another item from my collection is this phrase book. On the backi you can see it is printed in Casablanca. Could it be operation Torch related?

post-169612-0-23792200-1514212065.jpg

post-169612-0-42614700-1514212088_thumb.jpg

Rene

If your pamphlet was printed in Casablanca, it would have been printed after Operation Torch. This would not have been printed in Vichy controlled territory prior to the landings.

If your pamphlet was printed in Casablanca, it would have been printed after Operation Torch. This would not have been printed in Vichy controlled territory prior to the landings.

Thanks gwb123. In hindsight I should have figured that one out myself :blush:

Rene

Thank you for showing these remarkable collections of Red Cross items. A wise collector of other memorabilia once told me that there may be common items, but all are a part of history and should be treated with some respect. This humble pin is the only Red Cross item I have. I found it in a small group of WWII era odds and ends many years ago so believe it is from that era. I decided to post here for two coincidental reasons. First, I happened to stumble on it just the other day while looking for something else. The second reason will be in my next post.

Mikie

post-2687-0-05141000-1514328481_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-64518400-1514328492.jpg

The second reason is this other remarkable Red Cross related item I spotted yesterday while out on my Christmas Day gluttony recovery walk. This train car is currently parked and undergoing restoration work at Santa Clara CA train station. During WWII it was loaned to the Red Cross for use in the blood drive operations. I figured it may be of some interest here.

Mikie

post-2687-0-95007200-1514329032_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-87348600-1514329075_thumb.jpg