American Red Cross Insignia

jmar

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well. I've long had a soft spot for ARC pieces and have gathered some beautiful pieces over the years. For the most part these are very affordable (and too often ignored) and a fine tribute to those women and men who served those who were in service. Here is a small sampling that will hopefully provide reference for future collectors. If there is any interest I'll gladly post more, including other examples of various makers and insignia.

Thank you for stopping by and viewing my post.

Best wishes!

Joe

Canteen (1946-67). The Red Cross provided food and snacks as well as leisure articles, to troops primarily when they were in transit at railroad stations and ports of embarkation and debarkation. By the end of the war, 55,000 canteen workers operated 700 canteens in the United States that served nearly 40 million refreshments. Overseas, the American Red Cross operated 130 canteens in France alone that served some 15 million American and Allied soldiers.

post-48324-0-17759100-1445807468.jpg

Motor Service (1923-1946). The Red Cross Motor Service provided transportation support to canteens, military hospitals, and camps, and was involved in the campaign against the Spanish influenza outbreak of 1918. The Service consisted almost entirely of women volunteers, most of whom used their own cars. Many enrolled in auto mechanics classes in order to be able to make repairs whenever needed. By war's end, there were over 12,000 Motor Corps workers who had clocked a total of more than 3.5 million miles of service on America's roads.

post-48324-0-83085500-1445807744.jpg

Production Corps (1923-1946). This chapter-based service was responsible for the production of garments, surgical dressings and other medical supplies, comfort kits, and additional items for the benefit of American and Allied soldiers and sailors and destitute civilians in war-torn countries. Eight million volunteers, with help from Junior Red Cross members, produced over 372 million relief articles during the war years with a value of nearly $94 million. For additional information, see American Red Cross Production Corps.

post-48324-0-24510000-1445807782.jpg

Staff Assistance Corps (1923-1946) provided various forms of office and administrative support in chapters, hospitals, and other sites of Red Cross activities (128,214 volunteers in 1943-44).

post-48324-0-90950700-1445807848.jpg

The Nurse Badge (pin) was adopted and first ordered in 1906, in a design derived
from the American Medical Association pin, with the addition of the laurel wreath on
the outer edge. Numbering of the badges did not begin until 1909.

post-48324-0-63396200-1445807890.jpg

General Apathy

Hello everyone!

Canteens Overseas, the American Red Cross operated 130 canteens in France alone, that served some 15 million American and Allied soldiers.

Joe

post-344-0-80117300-1445809150.jpg

post-344-0-67892000-1445809268.jpg

Hi Joe, nice collection of boxed ARC you have shown, and as you ask yes would love to see some more.

If you don't mind and as you had also mentioned the ARC canteens overseas in France, this is the one in Cherbourg during WWII and how the same building looked last month when I re-shot it.

Look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Lewis.

Nice ARC items, Joe. I, too, have managed to collect a lot of ARC items mostly uniform groupings. Interesting for sure and can be frustrating finding information on about the past owner.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Joe, nice collection of boxed ARC you have shown, and as you ask yes would love to see some more.

If you don't mind and as you had also mentioned the ARC canteens overseas in France, this is the one in Cherbourg during WWII and how the same building looked last month when I re-shot it.

Look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Lewis.

Hello Lewis!

Thank you for stopping in, and for your comments and additional information! The photos are GREAT! Thank you!

I'll definitely continue adding more material, and I hope others will too. This is a great area of collecting with a LOT of history.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

Nice ARC items, Joe. I, too, have managed to collect a lot of ARC items mostly uniform groupings. Interesting for sure and can be frustrating finding information on about the past owner.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for stopping in and commenting. Have you posted some of your uniform groups on the forum? If so please add a link in my thread. I'd like to see them and I'm sure others would as well!

Best wishes,

Joe

Nice! OK if I add this variant?

Hello SJ!

Great to see you stop by. YES and thank you for adding that awesome variant to this thread. What a jewel! Feel free to add any other material, you're always welcome in my posts!

Best wishes,

Joe

Joe,

I can't believe that I missed this thread! You have some amazing items. Some I have never seen before.

You are correct that these beautiful items are affordable and often under-appreciated.

I hope you are doing well....Kat

General Apathy

Hello Lewis!

Thank you for stopping in, and for your comments and additional information! The photos are GREAT! Thank you!

I'll definitely continue adding more material, and I hope others will too. This is a great area of collecting with a LOT of history.

Best wishes to you!

Joe

post-344-0-90462500-1446157076.jpg

Hello Joe, thank you VERY much for a warm reception in adding my previous photos to your topic, I appreciate your kindness.

Here's another American Red Cross item from my collection shoebox, a fold out pamphlet which measures 19 x 11 inches, too large to show as a full fold out so I will show one side in four quarters.

Best wishes for an expanding topic.

Lewis .

General Apathy

post-344-0-83709900-1446157805.jpg

The reverse showing the full opened pages of the London street map with all locations of the ARC clubs shown, along with address's and bus information.

Lewis.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hello Joe, thank you VERY much for a warm reception in adding my previous photos to your topic, I appreciate your kindness.

Here's another American Red Cross item from my collection shoebox, a fold out pamphlet which measures 19 x 11 inches, too large to show as a full fold out so I will show one side in four quarters.

Best wishes for an expanding topic.

Lewis .

Hello Lewis!

This is GREAT and what sets this forum apart from many others. The willingness of members to share information and ideas. I'm intrigued by this wonderful piece you've added. I'll be downloading the images for my personal reference files. Thank you again for taking the time to scan and post this historical data.

As soon as I can come up for air from my insane work schedule, I'll be adding more material too.

Let's keep this going!

Best wishes to you!!

Joe

Joe,

I can't believe that I missed this thread! You have some amazing items. Some I have never seen before.

You are correct that these beautiful items are affordable and often under-appreciated.

I hope you are doing well....Kat

Hello Kat!!!!!

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. We need to catch up!! PM inbound!

Best wishes to you my friend,

Joe

General Apathy

post-344-0-77663100-1446203368.jpg post-344-0-88710300-1446203393.jpg

Hi Joe, I just pulled this from one of my display cases while checking for ARC badges or insignia, will continue looking in my shoebox for items, as you appear to enjoy the input.

Regards

Lewis.