Manassas Battlefield

TLeo

While at NMMC in Quantico the other week I spent the next day out at the battlefield and thought I would share a few pictures. Seeing the actual place really helps to understand the events. I plan to eventually go back up there and drive the entire area using a guide I picked up. I understand that will take a couple days if driving to and stopping at each location in the area where actions were taking place. These are just a few shots from Henry House Hill the main action took place.

First a sign showing the layout of the positions...

post-5081-0-66044400-1445781063.jpg

Next is looking toward Matthews Hill where the Confederates were pushed back in retreat to Henry House Hill..The Confederates retreated south from Matthews Hill, past the stone house and began straggling onto Henry House Hill

post-5081-0-18227500-1445781148.jpg

As the Union troops pushed south down Sudley Rd from Matthews Hill, some Confederate troops paused at the Henry House and actually remained there unseen by Union troops at first. This building was built shortly after the war by the family to replace the house destroyed during the battle.

post-5081-0-53831300-1445781448.jpg

Ricketts battery of Union artillery set up near the house not knowing Confederate soldiers where at the house and began firing, causing casualties until the artillery was turned on the house and demolished it. It was at this point the elderly Mrs Henry was killed. This shot of Rickett's battery (near the visitor center and onlt about 75 yards from the house.

post-5081-0-38713900-1445781649.jpg

Jackson's Virginians had arrived on the field and taken positions inside a woodline behind arriving Conferderate artillery across the hill.

post-5081-0-30005300-1445781804.jpg

Here is Jackson's Monument in front of the Confederate lines where he positioned his troops.

post-5081-0-24277800-1445781876.jpg

About 30 yards or less west of Jackson's monument is a marker to General Bee whose famous quote...."There stands Jackson like a stonewall .....rally to the Virginians" gave rise to Stonewall jackson's nickname.

post-5081-0-94864900-1445782122.jpg

As seen in the first photo showing the map, the area on this hill is actually quite small and the fighting there very close with the opposing lines only a few hundred yards apart. Rickett's battery had little infantry support in it's forward position and his guns were captured. The fighting went on most of the afternoon with artillery pounding each other's positions and musket fire adding to the carnage before Jackson ordered his line forward and forced the Union troops from the field, thus beginning their retreat which at first orderly, turned into a stampeded when advancing Confederate artillery and infantry advanced and brought the stream crossing under heavy fire.

Union monument erected actually during the war when the are was in Union hands honoring their fallen, It was erected directly behind the remains of the house.

post-5081-0-67401700-1445782644.jpg

A small family cemetery is behind the house where Mrs Henry and two others are buried.

post-5081-0-08521500-1445782750.jpg

As mentioned, Henry House Hill is actually surprisingly smaller than I imagined from reading about the battle years ago. The trail around it can easily be walked in a short time but there is much more to see in the surrounding areas that you have to take a driving tour in order to see. The visitor center is nice, if somewhat small, with a nice video presentation on this battle as well as second Manassas. I think there is another post showing photos of their exhibits. I recommend stopping by the battlefield if you are nearby and want to spend 2-3 hours and it is only about 35 minutes from the NMMC and very easy to get to. I didn't want to get into a detailed discussion here on all the units/leaders/actions but hope this brief sketch of the bathe battlefield helps picture the events.

Just a couple I forgot...one showing the view from Rickett's/Union position toward Jackson and his lines and one from near Jackson's position looking toward the Henry House which both give a better idea of the closeness of the battle lines.

post-5081-0-65175400-1445784115.jpg

post-5081-0-18752000-1445784141.jpg

Nice photos, thank you for sharing them. . It's hard to imagine such a peaceful looking location was scene to a bloody battle.

RC

Thanks for the replies. Glad you enjoyed seeing the photos. From what the park personnel said, the battlefield (Henry House Hill) has not changed very much at all in all these years.

• 2 weeks later...