New Book on US Army Swords and Sabers

Spathologist

Dusan Farrington's latest book, published by Mowbray, is apparently due out mid-November. "Swords & Sabers of the US Army, 1867-1918". It looks like it picks up where John Thillman left off. I believe Thillman wrote the forward for this new book.

This book has been years in the making, and if it's anything like his last effort, this will become a standard reference on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got my copy today.

Wow. Just wow.

440 pages. Every sword and saber issued between the end of the Civil War and the end of WWI. Tons of period photos and images from collections, and excerpts from period documentation to back his conclusions. Evaluated by the Company of Military Historians and sponsored as a standard reference.

As much new info as is presented, probably the neatest feature is a CD with copies of nearly every reference used in the book. I have collected and studied US sabers and original documentation for over a decade, and this is by far the best source of information I've seen. The price of finding and obtaining the reference material in the CD would be more than that of the entire book....

I think I like it.

All:

I have ordered one also. Had previously sent Dusan some material on the M1911 and Pattons. Wonder how much of it went in the book. Based on his other book and articles he has an excellent worker for him in the Archives, looking forward to getting the book as I know is gonna be great.

Pony Soldier

Had previously sent Dusan some material on the M1911 and Pattons. Wonder how much of it went in the book.

You are in the acknowledgements...

I received my copy yesterday. I haven't had time to more than skim through the 440 pages and I haven't looked at the disk at all, but it is obviously an impressive work and a great contribution to the literature. It isn't, however, quite what I expected. I thought it would be more like a Volume 3 of Thillman's work on Army swords which would address all the makers/assemblers of the different models and the varieties/differences between them. It appears, however, that the author has focused almost exclusively on swords procured by the Ordinance Department, primarily Springfield products, and writes very little about swords produced for private sale or for militia units. He cites practical reasons for not doing so, e.g. he notes that the number of varieties of the M1860 S&F would be overwhelming. He has a good point, but I hope someday someone does find a way to address at least the products of the major producers/assemblers of private purchase and militia swords, e.g. Ames, Horstmann, Lilly, etc.

I wonder if the collecting community will adopt his model/type designations. Currently, for example, we generally refer to any of the thin straight-bladed S&F swords as M1860s, whether they were produced at the beginning of the CW, or right through the early 20th century. He divides them up based on major changes of design, e.g. the first Springfield model with the folding decorated rear counterguard is designated the M1872. I hope we do adopt his classifications - it might help solve the problem of 1890's swords being advertised as "Civil War".

I received mine and a quick perusal is a bit disappointing. I covers in great detail the Springfield made, but there seems little on the commercial swords which are 95% of the production and the ones the average collector an afford. I will report more after I get into it.

I can see that perspective but, as a collector of Springfield and government contract sabers, I couldn't be more pleased with the information in this book, especially the research on the experimentals.

• 3 weeks later...
Frank Trzaska

I read through the book twice now, quickly the first time and every word the second time and can say it is a great resource and extremely well done. Dusan has done a great job of gathering up the various files and organizing them in a time line that is easy to follow. For anyone with an interest in swords, history or the US military it is a fact filled enjoyable book.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

• 1 month later...

The following was submitted to Joe Puleo at Mowbray Publishing on 12/28/15. I had thought they may find it useful. There was no acknowledgement.

Report on:

Swords and Sabers of the United States Army 1867-1918; The New Regulation Models

By Dusan. P. Farrington.

Mowbray Publishing, 54 East School St., Woonsocket RI 02895

First, I must commend Mr. Farrington for this comprehensive book. It may be too detailed for most collectors who are just trying to determine exactly a model, type, variation of post American Civil War sword. If it is a Springfield made sword there is more here than the average collector will want or need to know. Most of the swords shown are available to collectors; some of the experimental sabers will never be seen much less purchased, but they are still very interesting. I personally would have put more of the supporting documentation on the supplied CD. However many collectors will, like me, be fascinated with the “edged weapon politics.” The “Quick Guide” will be the starting chapter for many collectors. His choice of photos, illustrations and diagrams is very helpful. Some of the period detail nomenclature is not is use now, but it is easy to interpret. The belt and suspension chapter will clear up much confusion.

The first thing I did was to compare my Springfield swords with what the author’s descriptions and confirm or change my ideas as to their exact types. That perplexing M1882 Light Artillery Officers saber is still perplexing, but it seems I actually have one.

There is so much here, I decided to concentrate on the pattern 1872 and 1878 (Model 1860) Staff and Foot (Field and Line) Springfield made swords which now have a proper designation. The author encounters some mysteries concerning components and services supplied by the commercial sword makers to this pattern. Had he been exposed to Gaylord made swords, he would have seen some with “Springfield” components. I have two, one is marked Gaylord and is identical to a Springfield except for the blade etching and the number of twists in the grip. The other is a Gaylord private labeled for Bent & Bush, Boston. The pattern 1872 blade with hand applied resist shows the same “hand” as Gaylord swords. The later transfer style carries on this same “hand.” I suspect the 1879 Springfield plate was created by that same “hand.” The 1900 pattern is a photo etching process. The hand acid etching process is a messy, dangerous, and will have inconsistent quality.

The 1878 fixed guard was being used by several commercial makers into the 2000’s most recently by the now closed Ames Sword Co., New London OH. Some of the casting patterns still exist. I created an etching pattern and supervised the creation of the plate used on their decorated Bowie knives.

The author rightfully decided to not include much about commercial swords because that would have overwhelmed the topic, but should be considered for an additional volume.

I quickly scanned the Model 1902 chapter and Mr. Farrington did not notice the blade etching pattern mystery there. He would have done well to more closely compare the two different “Springfield” patterns with blade etching patterns used by Ames Sword Co. and The M.C. Lilley Co. The shown commercial M1902’s are private labels and can be identified to manufacturer and dated. For instance any sword marked “MADE In U.S.A.” was made by Lilley-Ames, Columbus Oh after about 1935 to 1951.

But this requires considerable study of commercial swords. I have owned nearly 200 M1902s, so I know much about them..

Should Mr. Farrington wish to write an additional volume with Springfield addendum and more details on the much ignored commercial swords, my collection of several hundred swords and my acquired knowledge is at his disposal.

Tim Graham, All rights, Hudson OH, [email protected]