"Hey I caught a General" 1/35 scale Figure vignette

Old Marine

I broke a bone in my foot and its been in a cast so this has been a good time to catch up on finishing up some model projects. This is a small figure vignette I put together with various figures and I finally had a chance to finish it. This vignette a composite of a few different war time photos. (see the photos at the end of the post)

This model depicts a hypothetical group of GIs taking a break some where in Germany in April 1945. As the Platoon Commander calls for a halt he checks his maps and sends a few guys down the street to check out and clear some buildings. The other guys use the down time to brew up some coffee and have a smoke. About 15 minutes later one of the muddy dogfaces sent to clear the buildings comes back prodding an immaculately uniformed and decorated German General and loudly announcing, "hey I caught a general".

Anyway, This was a fun little figure vignette. The figures are a total mish mash of parts, Yanks resin Tank Rider Figures, Airfix, Tamiya, Verlinden, etc. The German General figure is from Master Box and is a very nicely cast figure with great detail. As soon as I saw the general figure I had to figure out a way to work him in to a vignette. Master Box is making some really great figures. The column and wall are scratch built. The cobble stone street section is an old resin piece that I got at a show years ago. the wrought iron fence is laser cut cardboard from Fredericus Rex and the German Eagle on the column is a Verlinden resin piece.

Here are the photos. Thanks for all you encouraging comments on my other projects.

Dennis

post-2843-0-77821600-1445474991.jpg

Dennis - Sorry about your "misfortune"!! - I'm going to be off my feet next week and the following 4 for knee surgery

Model looks good with some humor tossed in

S/F Bill

Dennis,

You pack so much detail into such a small vignette! I never get tired of looking at your works of art. This is another home run!

So sorry to hear about your broken foot. Did you get mad and try to kick something? :lol:;):P

...Kat

This is great. Reminds me of a story from Vietnam. A SOG recon team inserted for a prisoner snatch in Laos, and failed to contact any troops vulnerable to ambush. Not wanting to leave empty handed, the Team 1-0 decided to steal a NVA bicycle to take back to base. So the team gets ready to pull out, and the 1-0 radios it in: "Returning with bicycle." Little did he know the code word for General was "bicycle" that week. The FOB immediately sent a chopper to pick them up. The commanding officer at the FOB heard that the recon team bagged a "bicycle" and was naturally ecstatic, and came along for the pick up personally. So the chopper touches down and every one is jazzed to see this NVA General. The team walked out of the Jungle pushing the bike, and dare I say there was hell to pay.

So when I saw your title I genuinely wondered if this what your diorama! Despite my initial disappointment on the subject matter, I must say this is a very well done set, sir! Thanks for sharing, maybe I gave you an idea for next time!

Hi Bill,

Good luck with the knee surgery. It's nice to not do anything, but that only lasts a few days and then you start to get cabin fever. Stay busy if you can and recover quick.

S/F

Dennis

Ronny, That's a great story..........I am laughing as I type. Weird stuff happens.

The funniest part was when he radioed it in:

"We have captured a bicycle, over."

"Please confirm capture, over."

"Have bicycle, I think its Chinese..."

"Can you confirm, an enemy bicycle?"

"A bicycle. Look, you better come out here and get us quick, or I will put a bullet in it and leave it here."

Seriously. I couldn't make it up. If you like that one, seriously consider buying "SOG" by John Plastor. Its full of stories of humor, bravery, and stunning sacrifice. Plastor ran recon for 2 tours and then rode covey for another tour. He is the real deal and writes very well. Paperback is cheap...

http://www.amazon.com/Sog-Secret-Americas-Commandos-Vietnam/dp/0451195086