WAC Cap, Red ? Piping

Wharfmaster

Just found this taupe WAC overseas cap.

It has nice gold lining. No name but it does have a laundry mark inside.

Why would it be found with red ( Artillery ) piping ?

Thanks,

Wharf

post-525-0-94943700-1445470554.jpg

right.. why do you think WAC?

leather sweatband is for the most part postwar but not always..

I have a few attributed WW2 OS caps with leather sweatbands.

-Brian

My photos are not the best but the material is very taupe ( Brown ), not at all greenish.

Post WW2 WAC uniforms were taupe in color for a number of years.

W

Wharf,

I know that lighting makes a big difference in the way the color looks in a picture. The taupe uniform is more of a grey/brown than yours appears to be colored. Here is a link that shows the taupe uniform and the WAC shaped overseas cap"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66621-picked-up-an-unusual-wwii-wac-uniform-today/

While some women did wear men's style overseas caps, this was early in the war and would not have been post WWII.

This is from the Blitzkrieg website "Unlike the straight cut men's garrison cap, the WAC garrison cap was designed in the shape of a "banana" to fit better over women's longer haircuts. However, many WAC members did not receive this female version before the end of the war. "

...Kat

Wharf,

There is usually a lot of confusion when it comes to women's items or women's military history. ;)

...Kat

One example, I was looking thru a book today about B-25 factories. There is a picture discussing how WASPS flew the B-25s. However, the women in the picture are clearly WAAC officers with the Walking Buzzard cap insignia and service command patches. :blink:

...Kat