My collection- WW2 Airborne

517th...that's a blast from the past! We had a great weekend up in the snow-sprinkled hills re-creating the "Battle o' the Bulge" in front of Seimon's cameras!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

What about Rob with his Mohican haircut modelling for the Dragon kit.

Great weekend, Great company, etc. etc. etc. ............517th

IMGP2348.jpg

Daniel G Harries 517th PRCT Ardennes/Rhine Crossing

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Rob with his Mohican haircut modelling for the Dragon kit.

Great weekend, Great company, etc. etc. etc. ............517th

Indeed! I've still got a photograph of "the squad" sat in your jeep on one of my display shelves!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Ian:

I`ve been quite lucky with mine they seem to be lasting well.

Quite a rare item now i should think, just a case of keeping the old peepers open.........517th

I bought three different sets of un-issued earphone cups off Ken about ten years ago...foam/sponge, chamois-lined "donuts" and small, round black rubber ones. The latter two are still "minters" but it's the grey foam/sponge ones which are slowly deteriorating. Obviously a 65+ year old chemical reaction?

Ian

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

post-344-1255725812.jpg

Hi 517th, remember the time when we were working on the film production of ' Mission Berlin', made for one of the history channels in America, I think it is still shown now and again.

The aircraft used was the ' Mary Alice ' based at Duxford, England which after filming was taken into the new USAAF hanger that was being built around that time. All the interior of the aircraft is pretty much complete, it had not been stripped out for post war flying.

At the time of filming the veteran of the 92nd bomb group turned up with his wife and we managed to arrange for him to sit in the bombardiers seat, which he had not done for fifty years. The tears rolled down his face and he said that he had, had a dream that one day this would happen. Whilst he was in there being filmed they decided to keep the footage and add into another future planned documentary, which they did and this was also shown on the history channel.

The one story that he related as he sat in the bombardiers chair and the tears of memory rolled down, was the day that were shot down. He said that they were on a bombing mission and that the flak was bursting all around the squadron, he said that the pilot was normally a quiet and purposeful kind of a guy when he suddenly started screaming bail-out, bail-out, the veteran looked out of one of the side windows and the two engines on one wing were on fire.

He took off his headset and rested it on the machinegun close to him and as he released it the headset floated up towards the roof of the aircraft, this was because the aircraft was dropping out of the sky. The crew all had to find their chutes and clip them on before jumping and he was pleased to say that they all made it, I think he said that they all spent the next three years as prisoners.

While he was being filmed I spoke to his English wife who had been one of Winston Churchill's secretary's, and she related that for fifteen years they had been returning to England each summer and hiring the same taxi driver to drive them around and visit all their old haunts, restaurants, bars, and villages reliving their day's of courting in an England at war.

Apparently the taxi driver had been driving them past the Duxford aircraft museum for fifteen years and suggested each time that maybe they would like to see the aircraft and provenance was shining down on them that day that they came in whilst we were filming and he actually got to sit in the old B-17 once again.

The last thing he said to us after having his photograph taken with us was that as they walked across the field and saw us stood there next to the B-17 he could only think that he was seeing ghosts.

Fantastic for us as well to meet a veteran, good for me that when they approached and spoke to me and his wife said that he used to fly in this type of aircraft, I asked in what position, to which he replied the bombardier which was the postion I was in that day ;)

Regards ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Yes Lewis, that was some story, i had actually forgotten about that meeting until you jogged my memory in your account above. Very humbling to be in the company of someone like that who has experienced the horrors of war. Made it all worth while to have made his day.........517th

IMGP2348.jpg

Yellow smoke with canister.........517th

Hi 517th, I think you should pull the pin and check ' that ' color, after all it could be a mis-labelled red, green or something else ???? :think:

Also it's always best to try it in the living room see what the wife thinks about the new color scheme and whether it really co-ordinates with the rest of the house. :pinch: :lol:

Happy weekend ( Lewis )

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

Hi 517th, I think you should pull the pin and check ' that ' color, after all it could be a mis-labelled red, green or something else ???? :think:

Also it's always best to try it in the living room see what the wife thinks about the new color scheme and whether it really co-ordinates with the rest of the house. :pinch: :lol:

Happy weekend ( Lewis )

I`m sure you could guess what my wife would think about tha idea Lewis :mad: :disgust:..........517th

IMGP2348.jpg

post-344-1255808735.jpg

Hi 517th, well here's a face :pinch: you will recognise from when we worked on ' Band of Brothers ' together, here's a clue for the readers ' it's not me ' :lol:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Sorry Johan, i never saw them. Was it something to do with Steve West i wonder ?????????........517th

Hey 517th...rumour has it that you subsist on powdered eggs and Spam on a daily basis in order to create that authentic "I was there" 40s feeling. (I'd check the "best before" dates on those crates of MREs if I were you!) ;)

Ian

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

post-344-1255808735.jpg

Hi 517th, well here's a face :pinch: you will recognise from when we worked on ' Band of Brothers ' together, here's a clue for the readers ' it's not me ' :lol:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Quite an experience working on BOB Lewis, do you remember the food?, lots of it...........517th

IMGP2348.jpg

post-344-1255810021.jpg

Quite an experience working on BOB Lewis, do you remember the food?, lots of it...........517th

Hi 517th, I sure do, it was great eating in the cast and crew marquee, where there was everything and anything you wanted, I remembers the salmon, lobster, prawns, meats, fresh pineapples and all other fruits, it was a five star menu and too much to mention. :lol: :thumbsup: ;) Wish I had taken photos of that.

I believe the 'crowd catering ' tent was burghers and chips every day. :crying:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hey 517th...rumour has it that you subsist on powdered eggs and Spam on a daily basis in order to create that authentic "I was there" 40s feeling. (I'd check the "best before" dates on those crates of MREs if I were you!) ;)

Ian

Yes Ian, here is my weekly ration followed by plenty of the frothy stuff.........517th

post-401-1255810054.jpg

post-401-1255810132.jpg

IMGP2348.jpg

post-344-1255811135.jpg

Hi 517th, here's another one for you, it's you, Dave and my daughter Lauren ( 9 ) in front of one of the flat painted Waco's, amazing how good they looked set up in the field, should have got one of these at the end of filming would have looked good as a background for a bunch of mannequins.

Cheers ( Lewis )

post-344-1255811894.jpg

Hi 517th, here's my last one tonight, off to do other stuff, here is my daughter Lauren outside the gates for Hatfield Studios, for any readers that are unfamilier with the name, it's the studios north of London where all that fine work was done on ' Saving Private Ryan ' and ' band of Brothers '. ;) :thumbsup:

There were endless sets built on the back lot for both of these films, especially for Band of Brothers where they progressed from Camp Toccoa, to England to Normandy, Belgium, Holland, Germany and the forests of Bastogne. The forests of Bastogne were nearly all shot in the indoor studio, that was fun to see a large empty building one week and a week later there was a full forest of trees and covered in snow. :blink:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Am i seeing double or is it to much frothy stuff?????????.............517th

517th...is there nothing "G.I" that you DON'T have in that collection of yours?!

Ian

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

That`s the one Johan, thats John Rowe, the comedian ,with the egg, i remember now after seeing the pic.........517th

Indeed, John... I had forgotten his name...

Are any of that gang still active in collecting?? Steve, Allan, the others???

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Johan:I have not seen the guys for maybe three or four years but Steve is still active in the researching the 29th and still travels to the States. John has moved from London to Cornwall where he is or has renovated an old barn. I dont know about Allan Hausman possibly still working in the film industry somewhere we all feel a little to old to do the training weekends we used to do, a nice warm cosy bed is to inviting these days........517th

IMGP2348.jpg