A visit to USS North Carolina BB55

camonick

I had the opportunity to tour the USS North Carolina BB55 while I was in Wilmington, NC several years ago. I came across these pics the other day and thought they were appropriate for this section. I'm sure lots of you may have been to see this ship, but I was so impressed I had to share these.

It is well worth the admission fee to get on board and have a look around. I was fortunate enough to be there the same day a large group of Vets who had actually served on her during the War were. I took my time and followed a bunch of them around and listened to all of their "war stories" It was almost like being there with them. Really Cool!

Nick

Looking at her across the Cape Fear River.

post-3661-1218768937.jpg

My father-in-law and me with some of her AA Guns.

post-3661-1218769197.jpg

One of her "little" think.gif:lol: anchors.

post-3661-1218769567.jpg

Standing next to one of the 16" shells. 2,500 pounds of "Pure Hell". (I'm 6'-1")

post-3661-1218769635.jpg

My father-in-law and me standing under the "Big Guns"

The bell is actually from the previous North Carolina (Armored Cruiser ACR 12 commissioned in 1908)

post-3661-1218769952.jpg

Great pictures.

The Carolina's Kingfishers were painted with a Disney-designed insignia at one point in time. To see the design, click on the following link to my blog:

http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/2008/02/ste...ia-posters.html

The design is the one seen in the top right of the second photo in the post.

Cheers,

David

Hey there, you have some neat pictures. :) I live about an hour and a half from the ship and run the road race they have there every year for the ship. I still have a free pass to tour the ship I got from the race that I still need to use...

- Jeff

Charlie Flick

Nick:

Great ships and great pics! Although almost ancient technology now, those ships still have an air of power and majesty about them.

I have not yet had the good fortune to go aboard the North Carolina but will some day. I have been aboard the Missouri (when it was at Bremerton, now at Pearl Harbor) and the New Jersey (now docked across the river from Philadelphia). I have seen the Alabama from the shore and would like to get aboard her some day, too. Those 16" guns on the BBs are just spectacular.

Thanks for the post.

Charlie Flick

Homefrontguy

Great pics. The one of the Kingfisger reminded me of a sotry I saw on Battle 360 on the History Channel the other day. A KingFisher went to pick up a downed Enterprise Pilot and when the pilot tried to climb aboard to be pulled to a nearby submarine, it flipped over and sunk. I guess these couldnt get airborne with three men. Anyway, they dispatched another and it used its engines to sail across the water to a nearby submarine with the two crew and one rescued pilot sitting on the wings and balancing the plane. I thought a neat story.

Great shots! I love touring the USS New Jersey. The amount of engineering required to build those ships is mindboggling. I sure hope to visit a WW2 stock BB like the North Carolina some day. The Iowa's have had their fair share of mods....

-Ski

• 1 month later...
Revolution Rising

My boyfriend and I visited the NC last March... what a great day! We're both complete history and military nerds, so it was great. It was his first time on a battleship (I've visited the USS Massachusetts and the USS New Jersey multiple times). The NC is very nice... very well done, and you get to see some different areas than you can on the NJ. I was very impressed.

80thdiv313fa

Nice pics I remember visiting this ship when I was in boy scouts back in 1999. From here we went down to spend 3 nights aboard the USS Yorktown in SC. What a fun trip it was!