ROTC Patch for Arkansas Technical University

WorldWarPatches

• 1 month later...

This one really had people stumped. Thank you for the ID.

Which ASMIC catalog are you referring to?

Starting with the April-June 1984 issue of the Trading Post, they printed segments of the catalog as a part of the magazine. I have seen segments into 1990.

WorldWarPatches

Starting with the April-June 1984 issue of the Trading Post, they printed segments of the catalog as a part of the magazine. I have seen segments into 1990.

I have these issues and it's been so long since I've looked at them I forgot I had them. I just ID'd ten ROTC patches that have been in the "who the hell am I box"

Thank you very much!!

Well done. I wish we could get ASMIC to create purchasable guides for patches. This was a major reason why I left ASMIC after 15 years. It was useless paging through issue after issue trying to find that single patch. Ugh, frustrating. I know I did my own before tossing the magazines.

-Ski

Why anyone would toss one of the greatest pieces of reference material on the planet is beyond me.I have ASMIC books going back to the 70s and if I need to search for an hours so be it that's part of the fun.Books are fine the internet is fine but they do not cover everything we need to know in this hobby.I had a reference library of over three thousand books on all collectibles if you do not believe 3000 ask Mr.Jerry he owns them now.When it came to looking for the ones- ie: insignia I did not know I headed for my stack of ASMIC books to find out what I did not know.The combined articles written by the real scholars and researchers in our hobby are all ASMIC members who support what is one of our hobbies greatest tools.When the people who write the books are members how could we who do not write anything do less.Young people out there take some advise from an old guy JOIN ASMIC I mean it so much I will pay for five young people under age 20 to join ASMIC just add to this post until five people want to take me up on my offer.I am stepping off my Soap Box and will make myself a cocktail when the clock strikes 5.Scotty

Well I did after having a stack of them fall over and piss me off. I have too many books as it is. Over 90% of the content never interested me in the first place. Perhaps as a dealer, they were of more value to you. For me, I did not need to read about DI's that I don't collect. If ASMIC kept their guides up to date and added separate guides for foreign patches, I would have been more than happy to stick with it. And no, paging though 100 issues to find the ID of the 3rd French Division is NOT fun. Moving base to base didn't help either.

ASMIC is a great organization, and if you are actively attending its events and are into DI's, then it is for you.

-Ski

Having been Editor of The Trading Post for 17 years, it must be noted that ASMIC is comprised of volunteers. We publish articles submitted by a slew of writers; some of them are not even members. These volunteers also put together all of our catalogs. Some of the catalogs, mostly DI, have been updated. We have published entirely new catalogs on the MRS and CWS, which include cloth insignia (shoulder and pocket patches). Teamski has NEVER submitted an article since I became Editor. I volunteered to scan back issues of a the Trading Post, and I hAve never found a submission by him and I'm back to 1985. Many Air Force)patches (one of team's collecting interests) were submitted by a lot of volunteers. We have a lot of other patch catalogs, and ALL of our catalogs are available for sale to non-members.

TIOH often contacts us, as do other military entities. ASMIC has led the way in correcting iDing patches misIDentified over the years. The "24th Cavalry Division", the 1/23rd Infantry (not the mountain warfare school); the 4 Roses Society patch (not the 442nd RCT AT Bn); upcoming - 81st Mortar Bn; Manila WCT (not Japan WCT or staff); there are others - all submitted by volunteers.

No, we can't guess at what all of our members specifically collect unless there is an inquiry or article submission. It has often been s aid by older collectors that you can judge another collection by the reference materials. ASMIC has been publishing since 1937 and we have 40 + years worth of m magazines up on the website ( we skipped around some). The choice is yours.

Sorry if I offended, but I will be honest. When I found this site, I left ASMIC. If you want ASMIC to move ahead, I recommend you either absorb this forum or find a way to beat it. There is a reason why I have both contributed financially and materially to this site (not to everyone's amusement at times of course) since 2008. It has been only here, that I can actively find answers to just about every question I have when it comes to insignia collecting. It is only here, I can share in my hobby instead of simply reading about somebody else's. There were images of patches I sent to ASMIC 3 times to get IDed without as much as a "I dunno." Yeah, I know it is all volunteer, and it is here too. Instead of 2, 3 or 4 guys contributing to a quarterly magazine, we get hundreds here on usmilitariaforum.com, all contributing to every possible area of military collecting (albeit US only).

-Ski

Garth Thompson

Why anyone would toss one of the greatest pieces of reference material on the planet is beyond me.I have ASMIC books going back to the 70s and if I need to search for an hours so be it that's part of the fun.Books are fine the internet is fine but they do not cover everything we need to know in this hobby.I had a reference library of over three thousand books on all collectibles if you do not believe 3000 ask Mr.Jerry he owns them now.When it came to looking for the ones- ie: insignia I did not know I headed for my stack of ASMIC books to find out what I did not know.The combined articles written by the real scholars and researchers in our hobby are all ASMIC members who support what is one of our hobbies greatest tools.When the people who write the books are members how could we who do not write anything do less.Young people out there take some advise from an old guy JOIN ASMIC I mean it so much I will pay for five young people under age 20 to join ASMIC just add to this post until five people want to take me up on my offer.I am stepping off my Soap Box and will make myself a cocktail when the clock strikes 5.Scotty

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere