New Find - APH-6 (RVAH-5 helmet?)

viking73

About your jacket, Richard "Dick" Birtwistle III was VA 81 CO from 3 jun 1976 to 30 jun 1977, he previously made two WestPac Vietnam cruises with VA 153 as Lcdr aboard USS Oriskany in 1970 and 1971 and made a safe ejection on 18 august 1966 from a A7A at NATC Pax River.

Best Croc

Hi Croc -

I can't believe I missed that about the name! Thanks for pointing that out to me, a big "duh" on my part for sure... Very cool that I have a named helmet. No doubt about this now as to the squadron or time frame. Wow!

Also, I appreciate the info. on Dick Birtwistle and my jacket.

Best regards,

-Derek

• 1 month later...

I finally have a small update on this helmet. I did replace the broken visor knob. Also, I found a pair of black plastic discs that I think match up well with the helmet. They look black in the cruise book photos so I'm very happy with them.

-Derek

post-5482-0-75765600-1449929179.jpg

My only problem now is I'm still searching for a used (but not abused or corroded) set of chin & nape straps. The ones on the helmet are pretty rough, and I really don't want to put them back on the helmet.

Here's the nape strap. Check out the corrosion on the metal eyes...

post-5482-0-60959400-1449929340.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead but I had to tell/show someone :)

I was able to find a nice set of used chin and nape straps for this helmet on Ebay about 6 months or so ago. They had the used look I was going for.

post-5482-0-67835400-1503271121_thumb.jpg

Trying to find a mask was the hardest and most expensive part of course... I was really looking for one that was in the right time frame as well, i.e. prior to the 1973 Hancock cruise. Well all I can say is that two years of patience finally paid off last month. I passed on several other MS22001 masks that recently sold on Ebay for around $325. I felt fortunate to find this one for just a little over $200.

post-5482-0-53480900-1503271422_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-61687500-1503271485_thumb.jpg

This helmet is one of mt favorites and I'm even happier now that I have the correct mask in place. It looks great in my war room!

I'm not sure why USN MS22001 masks are some much more expensive and harder to find that similarly dated USAF MBU-5/P masks, but sometimes with a little patience and luck you can find what you need...

Thanks for looking!

-Derek

post-5482-0-38945700-1503271741_thumb.jpg

Looks great!

Nice work, I have seen some replacement pads for the interior on eBay occasionally.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I actually have two of the original interior pads. They fell out of the helmet when I cleaned it up. I'm sure I will glue them back in at some point :) I was just really excited about finishing this one up finally!

-Derek

Derek,

Looks great and displays well.On another note,I recently remembered the motorcops I knew,used Pledge Furniture polish(yellow spray can) on their bikes windshields. I tried it on some helmet visors. It did a great job of cleaning and hiding minor imperfections.

Once again.Great Job!

Bob

Hi all !

I recently sniped one at $325. If you want the correct type with CRU-79/P & REDAR hose, that's the price to pay !

Yours is the correct price for sure but you also need mini regulator & REDAR as a fighter helmet shell !