New Find - APH-6 (RVAH-5 helmet?)

viking73

Hi,

I just got this new to me helmet in the mail today. It's a standard USN APH-6 but what I really liked about it is the paint and tape job. I think it might be from RVAH-5 when they were flying one of my favorite Navy jets, the RA-5C Vigilante!

It is dirty and has sticky pieces of disintegrating foam everywhere. I need to clean that up first. Then I need to look for some replacement parts. At the very least, I need one of the white plastic discs that holds the ear cup in on the right side plus a blue visor knob to replace the broken one. The chin strap is missing the pad also. I'm going to clean the chin and nape straps up and see how they look. I'd like to find some nice used parts instead of new ones as due to the wear on this helmet, I think NOS parts would look a bit out of place.

Sorry for the quick and dirty photos, I just wanted to share my latest find with you guys :)

Now for some photos.

-Derek

post-5482-0-13168700-1445293176.jpg

Top/Front

Both clear and tinted visors and there, but they are hard to move. I want to take it apart and not force anything but I am curios to see how scratched up they are :)

post-5482-0-34132600-1445293788.jpg

I like it very much! I will check and see if I have an extra used chinstrap pad.

Thanks for the kind words and checking out my post. You have some quite nice helmets yourself!

If you do have a spare used chinstrap pad, that would be fantastic.

-Derek

Last one of the "as found" photos.

Once I get the missing/broken pieces replaced and it's cleaned up, I'll be sure to post of new and better photos.

Thanks for looking.

-Derek

post-5482-0-09294500-1445294685.jpg

I have an APH-6 similar to yours that has some reflective tape and had been painted flat black. I was always curious where these black painted Navy flight helmets were used. A guy once told me he had seen flat black painted helmets used in the A-6 Intruder. It would make sense in the Vigilante too.

post-150534-0-64350700-1445296002.jpg

northcoastaero

Very sharp looking helmet! Most likely from VA-164 Ghost Riders. Possibly post Vietnam War era with the black ear seals on the

ear cups? APH-6C helmet or an APH-6A modified to the APH-6C configuration. I believe VA-164 flew the Douglas A-4F Skyhawk.

The number 5 was probably assigned to the pilot instead of being the squadron number. Helmet would use a MS-22001 (A-13A)

oxygen mask with most likely the Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator and lower high pressure REDAR hose with a locking connector

at the end for the RSSK-8 series Rigid Seat Survival Kit installed in the ESCAPAC ejection seat.

Very sharp looking helmet! Most likely from VA-164 Ghost Riders. Possibly post Vietnam War era with the black ear seals on the

ear cups? APH-6C helmet or an APH-6A modified to the APH-6C configuration. I believe VA-164 flew the Douglas A-4F Skyhawk.

The number 5 was probably assigned to the pilot instead of being the squadron number. Helmet would use a MS-22001 (A-13A)

oxygen mask with most likely the Robertshaw Type 1 mini-regulator and lower high pressure REDAR hose with a locking connector

at the end for the RSSK-8 series Rigid Seat Survival Kit installed in the ESCAPAC ejection seat.

Thanks for the kind words.

You know I never thought about this helmet as possibly being from VA-164 of "Lady Jessie" fame. Those orange chevrons sure could mean VA-164 as they were very prominent markings on the squadron's A-4s. The thing that makes me think RVAH-5 however is the arrow and spear tip on the back and top of the helmet.

-Derek

Hi

Your APH6 seems to be from the last VA 164 WestPac cruise 1973-74 aboard USS Hancock

post-1289-0-64922700-1445332588.jpg

(Lcdr Bryant on the left with a similar design)

post-1289-0-48645500-1445332888.jpg

Best, Croc

Hi Croc,

That's a great find! It sure looks to be the same design for sure. Thanks for posting this one - VA-164 it is!

Here are a few more small pics from the cruise book. You can see this type helmet in a few more shots in addition to the one you posted :

http://navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv19-73/215.htm

-Derek

I would not rule out VA 81 Sunliners. The insignia on top of the helmet could be a spin on the Carrier Air Wing 17 patch.

Well that would be interesting seeing as I have a named VA-81 flight jacket... A few pics are below. I've always thought it was a bit odd as it's a USAF L-2B jacket!

-Derek

post-5482-0-15667700-1445378073.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Niki. B)

I have a replacement knob and a set of black plastic discs on order, should have them in a few days. I decided black discs would be correct for this helmet based on the VA-164 photos. I don't see white discs on the helmets in the photos so I think black will be a good match for it. I still need to clean the helmet up first, maybe this weekend I'll have some spare time.

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had some time yesterday to tear down the helmet to give it a good cleaning and to remove he old sticky foam of course.

I found a name under the visor cover. Seems "MILLER" might be the last name but not 100% sure of the rest:

post-5482-0-51899700-1446590501.jpg

One more. That black paint just shines!

I have some replacement discs and knobs already. The metal parts of the chin strap and nape strap are very corroded. I'd sure like to find a nice used replacement set of these but I may just have to use what I have and clean it up as best as I can.

More later...

-Derek

post-5482-0-56818300-1446590697.jpg