1917 - American Orders & Socities & Their Decorations

hhbooker2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#272 is Masonic-

#276 is a very nice , older strike of the SAR members' badge (SAR=Sons of the American Revolution). It should be numbered upon the edge.

• 3 weeks later...

I think # 278 is the unofficial WW1 victory medal sold @ November 1918 -early 1920 to doughboys (by the ribbon). The Federal WW1 victory medals were handed out starting in late 1919 and a lot of the guys wanted something to wear before that time. In Maine for example, the Governor empowered the local Legion and VFW to ensure that medals were presented to deserving vets on Armistice Day, 1920.

#277-278 are the so-called Spicer Simpson Medals (after the designer/sculpter). They were orignally made as a fund raising piece for war relief. I've seen them in bronze and silver and with a variety of different ribbons.

Jim

Really???! :thumbsup:

There was one of these on a new yellow ribbon on eBay yesterday.

I have seen the multicolored/striped ribbon on old WW1 vets ribbon bars as an unofficial pre 1919 Victory medal. I ahve never actually seen the medal. Was the multicolored ribbon the original Spicer ribbon?

I've seen several on the multicolored Allied ribbon but don't know if it was the original. I've also seen it on a pale blue ribbon and a red-white-blue tricolored ribbon. Interestingly, I've seen the obverse and reverse of this medal used on other medals with different sides even blank reverses.

Jim

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...
aerialbridge

Some things are worth waiting for.  Now it's just practically unknown but still not easy to find.  Wonder how many were struck? 

bertmedals
2 hours ago, JMcCulloch said:

84C0E0FA-A4F6-4C93-8A5B-D1717965D384.jpeg

These were struck by the Gorham Company.  Photos of one still in the box are below.  The explanatory paper was folded up in the box.  There were several different strikings.  Picture below shows 2 side-by-side to compare the differences.  The date on the reverse in Roman Numerals is the date the US declared war (April 6, 1917).  I have a seen undated versions but I don't a picture of one of those.

20210516_170512 3.jpg

20210516_170526 3.jpg

20210516_170640 3.jpg

20210516_170709 3.jpg

20210516_170739 3.jpg

bertmedals
On 9/21/2009 at 5:52 AM, barker944 said:

I've seen several on the multicolored Allied ribbon but don't know if it was the original. I've also seen it on a pale blue ribbon and a red-white-blue tricolored ribbon. Interestingly, I've seen the obverse and reverse of this medal used on other medals with different sides even blank reverses.

Jim

Most with blank reverses I have seen were for Allied Relief as well.  Here are some pictures of a blank reverse one with the explanatory note.

Allied Relief Medal 1.jpg

Allied Relief Medal 2.jpg

bertmedals
On 9/21/2009 at 2:43 PM, JMcCulloch said:

REALLYY!!?? :think:

This gets even more interesting.

Blank reverses? :pinch:

What were they using them for?

Here is another with the same obverse but with the reverse for the New England Branch of the American Fund for French Wounded.

20210516_165842 3.jpg

20210516_165855 3.jpg

bertmedals

Almost forgot regarding post #293, I have also seen some of these medals for Allied Relief with the words "Allied Relief" inside a box on the reverse.