33rd Division of 6th army 136th Infantry Reg Co E Japanese flag Sept 1945

MarkH

Just acquired this American - Japanese item, from a Sydney auction house clearing some deceased estate material, heavily signed flag with members names and addresses of Company E, US 136th Infantry Regiment 33rd Division of the 6th Army,

I think it is real and will have to wait a week to receive it from my daughter, plenty of writing to investigate.

post-104738-0-43372500-1445157359.jpg

USCapturephotos

I love this! Thanks for sharing. My buddy found a similar GI signed Japanese flag stuffed in the double buckle boot of the GI who brought it home. I forget now which infantry division the Gi was in.

Paul

Looks legit to me. I love Japanese stuff since my dad was in the Pacific. Pacific stuff seem tougher to find than ETO items. I think part of it must have been the climate - everything would rot eventually. My dad said sometimes you thought you would never be dry again. Also, there were many fewer Yanks there to bring stuff home. I was able to pick up a nice pair of cased Japanese binoculars recently. I was on my way out the door when I saw them partially hidden by other items. I'm glad I spotted them because I know several other collectors frequent that shop. I hope you post some more pictures when you have it in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice piece of US WW2 military history, probably should find its way back, can only imagine it got to Oz by someone migrating from US, did not come from a collector.

post-104738-0-46392300-1446249291.jpg

post-104738-0-11465600-1446249422.jpg

This took some listing, hope it doesn't upset policy but this is a piece of US history to be seen,some happy men who have survived the war and find themselves in Japan. Even a couple of my name sakes, HANSEN!!

post-104738-0-53095900-1446251700.jpg

• 7 years later...

Mr. Hanson. 
Mark, going on eight years since this post and, here's hoping all is well with you, "down under", as they say. I'm in the U.S.A.

I'm a new member, probably less than twenty-four hours. Ran across your listing by googling for information about my father and his brothers (5) in service during WWII. 

Going on eight years since this post and, I would like to put a face to one of the names on your flag. Your pic/item #15 shows the signature & address of a William R. Larkin.                      He would be my uncle. I was going to list a few pictures here but, being new, this may not be the correct forum to do so on a large personal scale. So, I am only going to include his picture.      

Regretfully, he passed away in 1954, at the age of 44, of a heart attack, two years before I was born.     

Cordially, John E. Larkin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   IMG_E1752.JPG.3c1442f119359c006850a70ea496b6d0.JPGIMG_E1753.JPG.d9ae3fd8c3bfdbf8e9b4d362e57214c3.JPG

illinigander

Hello MarkL & John L-  Small world.  I just found this post while looking at the Forum.  I have a similar flag to the one MarkL has.  Same regiment but Clarence W. Pirez (spelling correct) was a member of the Medical Detachment of the 136th Inft.  Pirez was from Chicago and a known area jazz musician.  Along with the flag came about 250 photographs, a complete  time-line of his WW2 service.  He had a camera and took all the photos.  The 136th spent time in Hawaii and Pirez and others with acting or musical experience became similar to the professional USO members.  These army fellows performed in various islands in Hawaii as a TDY assignment.  Perez wrote the music for several shows.  He kept playbills and news articles about their performances. The 136th happy days ended when the Philippines Campaign started.  The 136th was sent to that action.  Pirez discontinued as a hospital medic and became a combat medic.  He was awarded a bronze star (not in my collection) for working on a wounded soldier, and then not leaving the fellow as the Japanese approached.    As Mark's the men who signed the flag are mostly from the upper Midwest, not surprising as the 136th was detailed into the 33 Div. which was the federalized Illinois National Guard.  As a Chicago born fellow, and collector of Illinois militaria, this collection is one of my favorites. 

illinigander