China Burma India Hand Carved Jewelry Box Engineer CIB / Dragon Motif

devincu

This is a really cool Jewelry Box that was hand carved from one piece of wood (probably teak wood) that has a beautiful motif of dragons, and in the center is a CBI insignia with an Engineer Castle. I picked this up from a woman who said her husband brought it home from WWII. She was not sure about his service, but his name is engraved under the lid. The box is still in outstanding condition, and the lock still works perfectly. I am sure it must have taken the person many hours to carve this piece.

Thanks,

Devin

post-59872-0-23000200-1445135202.jpg

Extremely beautiful, unique, and delicate piece. It is amazing that it has survived so well.

...Kat

Thanks Kat, I am still in the process of cleaning it up. So far I have removed about two pounds of dust. It is remarkable that the wood is in such good condition after being in a basement unprotected all these years.

Devin

Thank you guys...I don't know who carved it but they had talent, and the fact that it is all one piece is amazing to me.

Devin

ive made one piece boxes, this what you have is a whole other category of carpentry.

CBI

That's a weird CBI "patch/shield". That looks like the Japanese chrysanthemum and the Japanese star instead of the American star and the Chinese emblem.

Nice box and carving anyway.

Ronnie

Great CBI souvenir item. I see a lot of embroidery and silver items from the CBI-- not too many carved wood items.

Scott