Nice pile of WW2 manuals...and a 1941 Zenith!

Morlok

I stopped by an auction today, and grabbed a few items for cheap. The manuals set me back $5, and the Zenith was $37...and it works! Not a bad day for the price!

post-67213-0-42518600-1445118169.jpegpost-67213-0-13547800-1445118178.jpeg

thats a zenith 8-S-563 and it looks nice! but i wouldnt turn it on again without a professional looking at it if there is anything wrong or worn out it could destroy the internals :unsure:

Thanks! The back is stamped "Model No 8S563Z". I found many forums already that say there is no such thing as 8S563Z, and that someone must have added the Z. Well, those people are wrong! It is a factory stamp & as clear as this post I am typing now!

The auctioneer plugged it in & messed with the dials & buttons...it squawked & beeped & you could almost make out a foreign language, then he unplugged it. When I got it home, I noticed the power cord was absolutely awful...dry, cracked & completely bare for a few inches! I clipped off the cord, leaving about 10 inches hanging off the back. That way, there is no chance that someone will want to "play" with it & burn my house down in the process!

A few minutes ago, I cut a nice piece of veneer to the shape of the back, and tacked it on. That will keep the back sealed up & keep the cat out of it! It cleaned up real nice, and it is already in its new home...my living room! My wife is in love with it!

Perhaps one day I'll have it serviced & returned to proper working order. Probably a tall order, considering it looks to be all rubber wiring! I really like it...It looks great & I can imagine a family gathered around it, listening to the reports of the Allied advance!

Thanks! The back is stamped "Model No 8S563Z". I found many forums already that say there is no such thing as 8S563Z, and that someone must have added the Z. Well, those people are wrong! It is a factory stamp & as clear as this post I am typing now!

The auctioneer plugged it in & messed with the dials & buttons...it squawked & beeped & you could almost make out a foreign language, then he unplugged it. When I got it home, I noticed the power cord was absolutely awful...dry, cracked & completely bare for a few inches! I clipped off the cord, leaving about 10 inches hanging off the back. That way, there is no chance that someone will want to "play" with it & burn my house down in the process!

A few minutes ago, I cut a nice piece of veneer to the shape of the back, and tacked it on. That will keep the back sealed up & keep the cat out of it! It cleaned up real nice, and it is already in its new home...my living room! My wife is in love with it!

Perhaps one day I'll have it serviced & returned to proper working order. Probably a tall order, considering it looks to be all rubber wiring! I really like it...It looks great & I can imagine a family gathered around it, listening to the reports of the Allied advance!

there is absolutely a"8s536z" the Z indicates a difference in chassis an X would be the version with the grill going the other way. im fairly certain for a while there was only a 8S536 which was this same chassis style but they started producing the 8S536X they then added a Z to the old chassis style

Thanks for the info! My grandfather ran a licensed radio repair shop out back from the 50s until the 70s. My wife & I inherited the place a few years back & there was still lots of stuff in the attic of the garage. Maybe I can barter with a repair shop...trade some good parts & manuals for a tune up!!

Thanks for the info! My grandfather ran a licensed radio repair shop out back from the 50s until the 70s. My wife & I inherited the place a few years back & there was still lots of stuff in the attic of the garage. Maybe I can barter with a repair shop...trade some good parts & manuals for a tune up!!

make sure you find a good place id ask for good places for repairs in your area on the antique radios websites forum