91st Division Patch Variations

Stahlberg

Howdy,

For part of my research on the 91st Division I'm trying to document the different variations of patches. I was hoping that by posting this there others would be willing to contribute some of the ones they own/have seen. Any contributions are greatly appreciated. As of now I have 2 variations in my files. The first is one that I have seen exclusively on 363rd Regiment uniforms. The second is one that I consider to be the most common variation, and the uniform it is pictured on came from a 362nd Regiment Grouping.

post-156248-0-74724800-1444970534.jpg

post-156248-0-11590800-1444970537.jpg

Hi Stahlberg. You've already seen them from AMS, But I'll post them up again. I'll get you better, more specific photos soon!

QCpsvKv.jpg

qXHZsws.jpg

Old_Steel1917

Hi, Stahlberg

I am attaching a detail of my uniform that I posted recently.

greetings

Roberto

post-159870-0-71170200-1445172679.jpegpost-159870-0-60165700-1445172682.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Is there any information out there on the 91st SSI 91 over WW? I read somewhere maybe this was the earliest patch, but can't seem to find similar examples. I read the pine tree came out in Feb. 1919, would love some information on the 91/WW SSI.

post-153086-0-44610200-1475933942_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

91st Division: Die cut felt with jagged edges & illustration (center) from the May 4, 1919 edition of the "New York Herald"

Right hand photo courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

post-5143-0-56529900-1476611296_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

91st Division: Machine embroidered on diamond shaped background

Left hand photo courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

Right hand photo courtesy of Griffin Militaria.com

post-5143-0-34439200-1476611458_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

91st Division: Hand & Machine embroidered on teardrop shaped background

Left & right hand photos courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

post-5143-0-63734500-1476611681_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

91st Division: "Wild West" variation & illustration from the May 4, 1919 edition of the "New York Herald"

Right hand photo courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

post-5143-0-72029000-1476612299_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

In regard to the 91st Division’s “Wild West” insignia variation, according to the following extract from a division history, the 91st Division was unofficially known as the “Wild West Divison” in 1917, during its organization at Camp Lewis, Washington. Because the insignia bearing an evergreen tree was not officially adopted until December of 1918, it would seem logical that the “Wild West” insignia was likely in use prior to the adoption of the evergreen tree design:

While the Division was serving in Belgium orders were received to submit to the Commander-in-Chief a pattern and description of a divisional distinctive insignia to be worn on the left shoulder of the blouse. The insignia recommended was a fir tree of green cloth, inscribed within a triangle with base of two inches and altitude two inches. This having been approved, orders were issued in December announcing the insignia and directing the Quartermaster to furnish the proper number for each officer and man.

While the Division served at la Ferte Bernard the following orders were issued to announce the name by which the Division was popularly known, the distinctive divisional insignia and motto:

Headquarters 91st Division,

A.E.F.

January 29, 1919

GENERAL ORDERS

No. 7.

1. The name “Wild West Division” by which this division has been known since the days of its organization at Camp Lewis, Washington 1917, is officially recognized as the distinctive divisional name.
  2. The distinctive divisional design, a green fir tree, adopted as a personal badge, to be worn by each officer and man of the Division (G.O. 57, 91st Division, 1918), is emblematic not only of the foliage found in each state from which the personnel of this Division was selected, but the ever green and ever useful character of this foliage is emblematic also of the state of readiness and the degree of usefulness which has characterized, and should continue to be the aim of, each unit of the Division.
  3. Since this Division was ready to participate in the St.-Mihiel Salient operation while standing in the reserve of the First American Army; since it was ready to attack in the front line of the Fifth Army Corps, From Foret de Heese, when the Commander-in-Chief launched his attack against the enemy’s line of communications between the Meuse River and the Argonne Forest; since some of its units were already entraining for Belgium before others, marching from the firing line, had reached the railroad; since its units never hesitated to attack the most formidable of the enemy’s defenses in Belgium; and since its members are now ready, either to return to the United States and resume the pursuits of peace, or to continue their service wherever ordered by the Commander-in-Chief, the phrase “Always Ready” is adopted as the divisional motto.

By command of Major General Johnston:

Henry C. Jewett

Colonel, General Staff, Chief of Staff

Official:

(Signed) D. J. Coman,

Major, A. G. Adjutant

The Story of the 91st Division, 1919, 91st Division Publication Committee, page 84, 85

By the way, the full text of “The Story of the 91st Division” can be found online at the following link:

https://archive.org/stream/storystdivision00unkngoog/storystdivision00unkngoog_djvu.txt

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Working on a display and wanted to make sure this was an example of a WW1 91st Division SSI as it doesn't seem to match any of the ones posted above.

91st Inf My (2).jpg

91st Inf My (3).jpg

• 2 weeks later...