1st A-2 Leather Flight Jacket

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: I have been collecting for many years but this is my 1st A-2 jacket. My wife was helping a friend clean out her parent's old home and she asked me about some military items she found and wanted my opinion. She sent me some pictures of a USMC long overcoat, WWII EM Wool overcoat, an Ike Jacket and a leather flight jacket and said....come on over ASAP. Since it was the end of the day...I dropped everything and got there fast. I passed on the WWII EM Overcoat since it was mothed and the USMC overcoat was dated 1972. I looked at the A-2 jacket and found it to be WWII period...I also bought a 1946 contract dated Ike jacket and a winter reversiable (green OD and white) long coat and a medical pouch dated 1944 and an ammo can for 30 cal.

As far as the A-2 jacket.....the sleeve elastic webbing is really worn. The inside is OK..with a "laundry mark" W-8692". The waist elastic webbing is OK and the "TALON" zipper is fully functionaland I found a small label inside the left pocket "SIZE: 38". There is also an acceptance stamp inside and the A-2 contract label and hanging loop is intact. On the inside of the zipper, I found another small USAF stencil/silver stamp. The left sleeve has a USAAC/USAF stencil but most is gone. When I got it home and looked at it very closely...I found that it "had" (past tense) and name tag and large round patch but removed.

Any help would be great. As stated...this is my 1st A-2 that I've owned. I know very little about them. The leather has some "paint" on it which I'd like to remove...but I don't want to mess with it. Thanks for your comments...

post-153915-0-58704000-1444967824.jpg

post-153915-0-56218200-1444967847.jpg

We're getting close to last pictures. I don't know the value of these considering the condition of the sleeve bands. Thank you for looking and your comments/advice.

post-153915-0-20200100-1444968455.jpg

post-153915-0-81949800-1444968477.jpg

post-153915-0-77287000-1444968511.jpg

Those cuffs can be replaced: one place wants $35 per sleeve cuff and $50 for the waistband. I see other places online selling a DIY cuff set for about $20-30 if you have someone who's good at sewing.

The originals are wool and I've seen many, many vintage military jackets that were in great shape except for often extreme moth damage to the cuffs.

Nice jacket. I would leave it as is though...no replaced knits, leather treatment etc. To me, replaced knits reduce the value more that original ones with damage. It also looks to be named, both in the collar and perhaps a laundry # near the zipper?

. I would leave it as is though...no replaced knits, leather treatment etc. To me, replaced knits reduce the value more that original ones with damage.

Totally agree. What this jacket has going for it is that it's totally original. Replace the cuffs and that is no longer the case. In this instance, the worn cuffs are part of the jacket's overall character. "It is what it is."

Nice Aero A-2 with the 1943 TCTO for the Hap Arnold Star....cuffs can be repaired by using a needle and thread to help keep it original ...new cuffs, depending on if reselling it might or might not be a benefit depending on your market.. a guy wanting a daily wear A-2 might want new cuffs, and a collector will be all about originality...

I wouldn't mess with the cuffs...just my opinion...Love the jacket,,,nice hide

I'll take it off the hang...Thanks Bazelot.

Approx. 15 yrs ago...I bought a BRAND NEW never worn "Cooper" A2 leather jacket that I found in a Thrift Store for $20. I couldn't believe my sees....and I'm still wearing it. The only problem I have with it... is the liner is wearing out. I'm going to send it off for a liner replacement. These are super jackets.

I'm still researching to Laundry Mark...maybe I'll find him. Thanks for all the info and comments...I found out that based upon the contract label ...this jacket was made in 1942...

QUESTIONS:

1. What is the approx. value of this jacket????

2. The USAF "Hap Arnold" emblem on these jackets started when?

Again....Thank you ALL for your comments and recomendations.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks....I will be listing this A-2 jacket for sale asking $775.00...I hate to let it go but college expenses (son & daughter are in college).

As stated above, don't mess with it. I also agree that $775 is a bit high based on the small size and condition of the cuffs. I would say more in the $600 range. The nice thing is that it hasn't been messed with that I can see in the pictures. Nice find!

Also, if I owned this jacket, I would darn the cuffs as much as possible and it would look pretty good.