Display Cases and Lighting suggestions

WaA257

Finally, after three years in the new residence, I am getting ready to have some new display cases built in my display area. At my old house I had store type display cases with fluorescent lighting but I understand this is bad for relics. I am thinking about LED strip lighting. Does anyone on here have any experience with this type in their cases? Will it be bright enough? I'm looking at constructing a 16ft long x 7ft high by 2ft deep case with sliding glass doors. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I've always thought this flat style of strip lighting was a good idea. I would also put a light shining down from the top of the cases.

post-104736-0-60888900-1444941850.jpg

Here is an idea demonstrating light installation in the forward part of the top of a case so the front of whatever you are displaying is illuminated.

post-104736-0-17083500-1444942150.jpg

• 1 month later...

For those unable to perform the above excellent suggestions, there are many available sleeves and sheets to protect artifacts from unfiltered ultra violet flourescent light exposure, too:

http://www.encapsulite.com/graphic-arts-darkroom-safelights-sleeves-for-fluorescent-lamps-p-100240.html#1-YToyOntzOjQ6ImdyaWQiO2k6MDtzOjE1OiJleHRlbmRlZGxpc3RpbmciO2k6MDt9

They work well, and last a fairly long time (5-10+ years or so?), but are not AS safe as low light levels.