USAF "5th Tow Target Squadron"

Edelweisse

Hi Folks: When I was small....6 or 7 yrs old...my Uncle , who was in the USAF in 1950s, gave this patch which I still have and I'm now 61 yrs old (smile). He passed away in 2007 when I was down TDY attending USAF training at Lackland AFB. I also found a beer mug beer mug that had the same patch but my Aunt kept it.

I'll always keep this patch... This unit was assigned to a USAF at Neubiberg when it moved from Furstenfeldbruck Air Base

Attached is a picture of my Uncle as a SSgt in the 1950s...tribute to him and his USAF service ...20+ yrs

post-153915-0-89937400-1444884954.jpg

post-153915-0-08942900-1444884971.jpg

post-153915-0-61774800-1444885049.jpg

To have a name attached to any piece of insignia is always a huge bonus.Thanks for showing us your piece of history and thanks to your uncle for his service.Scotty

Hi Johnny...I noticed that......the Disney design....I guess as a small kid....That's why I liked it and kept it. It was always cool...my Uncle's USAF patch.

I found this on the 5th Tow Target Sq. I always thought the tow target units were WW2.I never knew they went into the 1950's.

5th Tow Target Squadron 16 July 1954 - c. 1 April 1958 (B-26 [A-26], B-29, C-47)

The 5th Tow Target Squadron moved to Neubiberg from Furstenfeldbruck Air Base on 16 July 1954. Its mission was towing aerial targets for NATO Air Forces and Army Anti-Aircraft gunnery, and had detachments at RAF Sculthorpe, England (Det. A(1)), Bremen Germany, and North Africa.

Aircraft flown by the 5th were Douglas TB-26B/C Invaders in Europe and a number of L-5 Sentinels. In North Africa, B-29s were used. Squadron markings consisted of Red and White horizontal stripes on the vertical and horizontal stabilizer and red wingtips.

The unit was inactivated when Neubiberg was turned over to the German Air Force.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
InvaderHistoricalFoundatio

Hi Folks: When I was small....6 or 7 yrs old...my Uncle , who was in the USAF in 1950s, gave this patch which I still have and I'm now 61 yrs old (smile). He passed away in 2007 when I was down TDY attending USAF training at Lackland AFB. I also found a beer mug beer mug that had the same patch but my Aunt kept it.

I'll always keep this patch... This unit was assigned to a USAF at Neubiberg when it moved from Furstenfeldbruck Air Base

Attached is a picture of my Uncle as a SSgt in the 1950s...tribute to him and his USAF service ...20+ yrs

Hey Edelweisse, what is your Uncle's name? I'd like to include a page on him on my Invader museum website.