USMC Museum....OSS

TLeo

I was just up at the Museum of the Marine Corps and saw these two displays regarding USMC in the OSS in Europe. I didn't make note of who the jacket belonged to I should have made a quick note, but I thought it worth sharing due to the unusual subject matter. The medal group belonged to a Marine and post war actor Peter Ortiz and I recall him being discussed in another topic on actors in service as well as OSS. I did not find his decorations posted here, so here is a group belonging to him....(sorry for the glare...the case was in a bad place for lighting.)

post-5081-0-44773500-1444855934.jpg

Very interesting! I need to take another trip there, as they seem to have expanded their displays. The "Ike" jacket is amazing. It appears to be a Brit modified uniform. The SF wings on the jacket also appear to be the less commonly seen variant that you tend to see from American recipients...Thanks for posting!

That is what I thought it looked like as well when I saw it. They have added/changed some displays from last year when I was there.

This trip was even better, as while i was there, I also got to see the Silent Drill Platoon perform that afternoon at the museum.

Here is the detail on the uniform. The OSS material at the museum is on loan from a friend of mine.

I suppose interested parties should know that the exhibited uniform was worn by GySgt. Robert LaSalle and was altered by a British tailor in Manchester, England in the summer of 1944. Bob was one of 20 hand-picked Marines sent to Scotland in 1941 to train with the British Commandoes. He also trained with British paratroopers.