WW 2. KIA PH/DFC

Fritz

Picked this up from a friend tonight, first named DFC I've ever seen or owned, he was a local man, and was a young 24 when his plane went down. RIP

Fritz

post-4127-0-68580600-1444695563.jpg

post-4127-0-67909700-1444695574.jpg

post-4127-0-58504600-1444695590.jpg

MACR: 12400;

Far East Air Force; 5th Air Force;

54th Troop Carrier Wing;

2nd Combat Cargo Group;

7th Combat Cargo Squadron;

A/C: C-46D; Serial #: 42-101067B;

Depart Lingayen on a Mission to drop supplies

to friendly ground forces. Airplane hit by Enemy Ground Force Machine Gun Fire causing aircraft to catch fire, crash and burn, south of the Rosario Area of Luzon, Philippine Islands. Aircraft was seen to crash by advanced friendly ground forces in Lingayen Area. All eleven men aboard the C-46 were Killed In Action.

Pilot: Major William Sugar Bowen

~O-380214~7th CCSQ~KIA

~Huntington, Cabell Co. WV

Co-Pilot: 1Lt. Harry G. Gresham

~O-811370~7thCCSQ~KIA

~Marion, Marion Co. SC

Crew Chief: SSgt. Lester E. Peatrowsky

~17123077~7thCCSQ~KIA

~Cuming Co. NE

Radio Operator: Sgt. Peter Lichowid

~15098110~7thCCSQ~KIA

~Wood Co. OH

Passenger: 1Lt. Marvin Charles Baggatt

~O-1310949~11thCCSQ~KIA

~Brewton, AL

Passenger: SSgt. Joe Tare Adams

~06956436~6th Army~KIA

~Chaves Co. NM

Passenger: Sgt. Charles O. Wilburn

~20743837~6th Army~KIA

~Eldon, Jefferson Co. IA

Passenger: Sgt. Ivan Love Crouse, Jr.

~37204969~6th Army~KIA

~Vernon Co. MO

Passenger: Sgt. Warden W. Rodes

~38001497~6th Army~KIA

~Maricopa Co. AZ

Passenger: Cpl. Peter Serio

~36046600~6th Army~KIA

~Cook Co. IL

Passenger: Pfc. Frank Zimny

~13009312~6th Army~KIA

~Washington Co. PA

That is quite a set. Hopefully you can get some research back as to what he did for the DFC.

The casket tags with the group are not often found either.

Interesting that they were lost to ground fire, I suspect that was not a common occurance at that stage of the war I would have to think.

Thanks for showing this group. Having the documentation that shows when the medal was issued helps in cataloging engraving styles.

Kurt

Contacted my researcher, will be interesting to see his file. Am I right in thinking a DFC award to an enlisted man is uncommon? Most DFC awards I see are to officers and pilots.

Fritz

Am I right in thinking a DFC award to an enlisted man is uncommon? Most DFC awards I see are to officers and pilots.

Fritz

No, not uncommon, maybe about equal given the large number of enlisted men.

The interesting thing to learn will be if he got his DFC for a particular action/mission, or for completing a certain number of missions or combat hours. If it is the latter, he will have likely had an Air Medal as well.

Also, it is very likely his service file was destroyed by the 1973 fire, so be sure and ask your researcher to get the award cards for the medals...they should be there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I thought I’d add to this post on Memorial Day weekend to honor Sgt Pete Lichowid.

I bought the Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart from a fellow forum member a few years ago and haven’t had time to complete all my research on the flier, but I received the citation for his DFC last year.  All the items have stayed together per the original posting and I really appreciate the casket tags for transportation of remains back to the US that came with the medals and aircrew wing.

The DFC was his sole flight decoration and was awarded posthumously along with his posthumous Purple Heart, which was sent to his family in 1946.

Lichowid, Pete DFC Card KIA.jpg

The DFC citation for Sgt Pete Lichowid as the Radio operator is for extraordinary achievement on the day of the mission, and is shared with Co-pilot Lt Harry Gresham and Crew chief SSgt Lester Peatrowsky.  In my opinion, the unarmed combat cargo fliers are overshadowed by heroic feats of fighters and bomber crews, yet they deserve their honors as well.  Flying low level in adverse weather conditions over enemy territory, well within the range of small arms and machine gun fire, is courageous in itself.

Lichowid Citation edited.jpg

Of note the Pilot, Maj William Bowen received the Silver Star Medal for the mission. Ten of the men Killed in Action that day are buried in a mass grave at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, Jefferson, Missouri. I’d be remiss if I didn’t honor those service members as well.

Bowen Crew Grave Marker.jpg

Sgt Lichowid is buried between his parent’s grave markers in Ohio. The signature of consignee on the application for his burial marker in 1948 was his mother, Mrs. Mary Lichowid.

Fold3_Page_1.jpg

Fold3_Page_2.jpg