USO Camp Shows Collection

355fg

I have been collecting USO Camp Show material, as a primary focus, for a few years now. At first, I thought it would be a fairly easy collection to build since it was out of the mainstream of airborne, marine, etc. However, I soon found that finding original pieces was very difficult and came to treasure every little item that I was able to acquire. It's taken me years to get what I have, which isn't much, but I would like to share what I have with forum members.

I will start with the first item I acquired from a friend.

This overseas cap was worn by 1930's violinist, saxophonist, and big band leader Benny Meroff. His band was popular from the 1920's-1940's.

post-4651-0-80962300-1444579751.jpg

This uniform was worn by Dorothea Kent. A Hollywood actress with 48 films to her credit, including parts in "Stage Door Canteen", "Pin Up Girl", and "Carnival Queen". Additionally, she appreared in four films with the Three Stooges..

She wore this uniform for her role in the 1940 Warner Brothers movie "Flight Angels". The tailor label inside the jacket shows her name, date, and production number of the movie.

post-4651-0-61271000-1444580303.jpg

This is an unidentified men's uniform made by Saks Fifth Avenue. All Camp Show uniforms are difficult to find, but male uniforms are seen much less than female.

post-4651-0-68160800-1444580607.jpg

This uniform was worn by Barbara O'Connell. She was an accordionist with the Camp Show unit "On The Ball", which went to Germany at the end of the war.

post-123-0-43453100-1444582725.jpg

Uniform worn by Valda Stone, a dancer with USO Camp Show Unit #812. Saks Fifth Avenue provided a lot of the uniforms for Camp Show members..

post-4651-0-29447200-1444589217.jpg

This is a very rare Hostess-Librarian Service uniform worn by Barbara O'Connell. Many Camp Show members were issued this uniform, but they are very hard to find and difficult to attribute to Camp Show members.

post-4651-0-62996400-1444589650.jpg

This next uniform is named inside and was worn by another dancer, Virginia Wallace. She may have toured with Marlene Dietrich during her performances in the 3rd Army area of operations in late '44 and early '45.

post-4651-0-72554100-1444589818.jpg

Nice, different area of collecting. I think this is an area that sometimes get overlooked. I've been trying to accumulate homefront entertainment pieces related to film, music and radio the last year or so. The overseas cap you have is very nice!

US Victory Museum

These are very nice and very rare uniforms. I once had the opportunity to buy a women's camp shows USO

uniform; however, as it was unidentified, I considered the premium too high for a collection of patches and

devices attached to a uniform.

Yours appear in excellent condition and well identified.

Congratulations for a unique and very focused collection.

Msn

SFC Helen Hulberg wore this uniform while stationed in England during the war. She was most likely assigned to a Special Service Section unit and helped with logistics for USO Camp Shows.

post-4651-0-42260300-1444594482.jpg

Perhaps the rarest item I have is the stage costume worn by Elaine Rodgers. She was part of Camp Shows Unit "Stop and Go" for performances in the Philippines towards the end of the war.

post-4651-0-56433200-1444594659.jpg

General Apathy

This next uniform is named inside and was worn by another dancer, Virginia Wallace. She may have toured with Marlene Dietrich during her performances in the 3rd Army area of operations in late '44 and early '45.

Hi 355fg, thank you for showing your collection of very interesting uniforms. Looking at the label and style of this one you show in post #8 it looks like a British manufactured jacket, could you show close up's of the buttons please.

Thanks, Lewis.

Thanks for the nice comments. There were just over 7000 entertainers in Camp Shows so finding an ID'd uniform is very hard.

I will post more of my collection soon as time permits.

Hello Keith. If you PM me with your postal mailing address, I will send you photo copies of coverage I have for shows in the Pacific area. Jack Angolia