The B-52 Graveyard Circa 1992

kklinejr

This photo always staggers my mind! If visitation to M-D AFB and "junkyard picking" was allowed, I would be a kid in a candy store- too bad it is federally prohibited. ;)

Ken

Photo Credit: A.T. Willett 2006 Virtual Tucson Magazine

post-99-1170699472.jpg

I've seen that image before and it never fails to impress me. I've also seen similar photos from the AMARC depot at Davis-Monthon AFB, AKA the"Desert Boneyard," dating from the post WW2 era. Image all those B-52s as B-29s and such and you get a general idea. Makes you want to cry. thumbdown.gif

One website says "The Pima Air & Space Museum offers tours of Davis-Monthan's AMARC"....

If you want to see the Google satellite images of the boneyard, click here. You can of course zoom in or out and move around once you get to that page.

Most of the 400 or so B52's in the above photo are gone, most having been chopped up to meet the terms of the nuclear arms reduction treaty.

At the time the satellite images were taken some of the chopped up B-52's were visible so if you go to the above Google link you can zoom in and see this:

b52.jpg

:blink: I wish i could visit that 'graveyard'. Do you know where it is exactly? Perhaps I even can get better images with Google Earth. w00t.gif

I don't know if it's still being done, but they used to have bus tours of the boneyard once a month at Davis-Monthan AFB. The base is located in Tucson, Arizona by the way.

Yeah, I have seen it in 1992 and it sure was impressive.

Saw some interesting stuff there.

The Pima Air Museum is quite nice with a beautiful B-17 on display.

Also a Blackbird outside (then).

Erwin

For the most comprehensive online guide to the boneyard, check out The AMARC Experience...

Here's a fairly recent gallery of AMARC photos by Peter Steehouwer...

Here's an older gallery on PBase with some AMARC shots, including a few interesting birds on Celebrity Row.

There are also a ton of photos to be found on the Airliners.net search page. The most effective search terms are 'AMARC' and 'Davis Monthan', but 'MASDC' and 'boneyard' will give a few results as well.

Fade to Black...