This Hasn't Happened to Me in a Long, Long Time

bertmedals

After having collected German WW2 militaria for many years, I got out of it around 2000. I've sold off almost my entire collection but still have a few things I haven't gotten rid of yet. Nevertheless, most of my friends know I used to collect it. On of my friend's father was a 3rd Army "Phantom" during WW2 and my friend told me he had brought back a box of souvenirs "liberated" from some sort of supply depot or warehouse at the end of the war. Unfortunately, his father passed away and in clearing the estate, the family found the box. No one in the family wanted it so my friend asked if they'd mind him giving it all to me. They wanted it gone and agreed. So today, he brought me the box after first, keeping a pistol for himself. Anyway, the last time this happened to me with German stuff was probably in the 80's so I thought I'd share a few pictures.

Dennis

Here's the box after I opened it:

post-1496-0-76708000-1444509648.jpg

Here is what I found on emptying it:

Unissued Luftwaffe Flying Troops uniform -- tunic and trousers. One of the kids tacked an SS Totenkopf collar tab to the pocket.

post-1496-0-93645300-1444509933.jpg

Geez I need more friends like yours great group looks like a flak hat, set of enlisted trousers and maybe a tunic. Great stuff congradulations

There were two enlisted flak visor caps. Both are unissued but the moths have gotten to them. I think they could be cleaned up to display well.

post-1496-0-35534800-1444510108.jpg

There were two SS style "field" (overseas) caps. One was heavily moth-damaged and the other not too bad.

Here is the best one:

post-1496-0-61293000-1444510275.jpg

There were a couple of Schutzenschnurs and a helmet that the kids painted silver also but this has been a long post so I'll end it with a US item -- the vet brought his helmet back, too, but no liner, unfortunately.

Thanks for indulging me.

Dennis

post-1496-0-62889500-1444510853.jpg

In August I got a similar group. The visor cap, tunic and trousers, and boots to a Panzergrenadier officer. A goggle box full of insignia and belt buckles, some books and other items and the vets own uniforms and such. I had to leave 6 photo/scrapbooks, 2 swords and a cased Purple Heart and Bronze Star for a later time as the vets Brother had those displayed in the house. Awesome finds and proof that its still out there! Scott